New coop-need feedback

WIchickMama

Free Ranging
Aug 15, 2021
Western WI
New coop delivered today, only cost ne $200 total. Homemade not pre-fab A-frame. Looking to out 3 bantams in it.

Need feedback for fixes. I am replacing the roosting bar from round to flat. Ladder underneath has a rope that pulls it up to close. Sides of run are removable for cleaning and are covered with hardware cloth- also comes with corrugated plastic for 1 full side and 1 half.

Cleaning now. Am going to bleach and let it sit out in the sun and then seal up all the wood. Coop is 2x5 and run is 4x5

Attachments

• 20210925_155044.jpg
    20210925_155044.jpg
    955 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210925_155037.jpg
    20210925_155037.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210925_155031.jpg
    20210925_155031.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210925_155023.jpg
    20210925_155023.jpg
    737.3 KB · Views: 10
Are those rounds at the top of the coop part the only ventilation there? They look like they're closed up so definitely pop them open - and you might need to leave the pop door open to provide the rest of needed ventilation, as there's really no wall space to add any.

Just noticed your location too. What's the plan for winters, as small tractors like this will get buried if there's any snow fall at all.

Are those rounds at the top of the coop part the only ventilation there? They look like they're closed up so definitely pop them open - and you might need to leave the pop door open to provide the rest of needed ventilation, as there's really no wall space to add any.

Just noticed your location too. What's the plan for winters, as small tractors like this will get buried if there's any snow fall at all.
I agree! Maybe the vents up top can be made bigger too(covered with hardware cloth) Replacing that plastic on one side w/hardware cloth wouldn't hurt, it doesn't look sturdy. This coop is so cute!

The plastic is removable and hardware cloth underneath. Both holes are open up top, about 3 inches in diameter and covered with hardware cloth. It will be located next to 1 big pines so a nice snow break and will be snowblowed/shoveled

I agree! Maybe the vents up top can be made bigger too(covered with hardware cloth)
Yeah I'd see about enlarging them if possible, and then putting some sort of roof extension/awning over them to protect from the weather. A 3" diameter circle only yields 0.05 sq ft of ventilation (so both circles = 0.10), and you'd want closer to 2-3 sq ft of ventilation open even in winter/nights, hence why I suggested leaving the pop door open provided the set up is safe enough.

Both holes are open up top, about 3 inches in diameter

I agree with @rosemarythyme in re: adding significantly more ventilation.

But with that and the roost alteration you already mentioned it should be a useful little home for bantams.

Yeah I'd see about enlarging them if possible, and then putting some sort of roof extension/awning over them to protect from the weather. A 3" diameter circle only yields 0.05 sq ft of ventilation (so both circles = 0.10), and you'd want closer to 2-3 sq ft of ventilation open even in winter/nights, hence why I suggested leaving the pop door open provided the set up is safe enough.

My chickens have a tall coop with 2 levels of roosting bars (the upper one is a poop board) They also have a window they can see out of year round(same level as the poop board) I have 3 vents that stay open all year up top above their heads and because its colder up there they sleep on the lowest roosting bars year round except for the hottest nights. Its very difficult to design a small coop with enough ventilation without it being drafty or having to leave the doors open.

Its very difficult to design a small coop with enough ventilation without it being drafty or having to leave the doors open.
Even tougher in this case as A-frames are harder to ventilate due to the fact that the biggest "walls" are roof.

I think with a couple changes, for 2-3 bantams, this should work well enough, but the design does limit what I can suggest as far as easy fixes.

Back
Top Bottom