New Coop Old Coop, Red Coop Tan Coop

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hey All, so sorry to bombard you all with questions - we inherited our chix from the former owners of this house and it was a love connection. I am obsessed and in love with my four hens. The coop they had was too small, the roost and the nest boxes were at same height, it was weathered..so they were sleeping on the roof of it (under a run) (run contained the coop) and pooping all over the roof, it was a nightmare. So....we built a new penthouse suite for them and they are really starting to like it. Laying eggs in the new boxes instead of the old one etc. This coop is on the outside of the run and connected to it. My question is, since they are still sleeping on top of the old one, and I can easily place them in the new one til they get used to sleeping there, but how long should I wait before demolishing and removing their old coop? I don't want to stress them out or upset them. Any advice on how soon to take it down? Thanks all for your patience with this newbie!

Attachments

• 50662C43-1CD3-4800-A95E-3ED517A63497.jpg
    50662C43-1CD3-4800-A95E-3ED517A63497.jpg
    951.2 KB · Views: 33
  • aK8%R4nlQMyGj%ERe4Tu6Q.jpg
    aK8%R4nlQMyGj%ERe4Tu6Q.jpg
    881.4 KB · Views: 27
I personally would remove the old coop now and in it's place build some roosts. I have a couple old wringer wash wood stands I use for roosts, I've seen some people make roosts out of 2x4s. I would make these so that they are not high off the ground, maybe the flock will automatically use the new coop roosts then. I would provide electrolytes in their water during this change over.

Edited to state the wringer wash wood stands are in the run as roosts not the coop.

I personally would remove the old coop now and in it's place build some roosts. I have a couple old wringer wash wood stands I use for roosts, I've seen some people make roosts out of 2x4s. I would make these so that they are not high off the ground, maybe the flock will automatically use the new coop roosts then. I would provide electrolytes in their water during this change over.

Edited to state the wringer wash wood stands are in the run as roosts not the coop.
Thanks so much for this. Two questions, not sure what a ringer wash is, but would love to know and also how is the best way to add electrolytes into their water? TYSM

Thanks so much for this. Two questions, not sure what a ringer wash is, but would love to know and also how is the best way to add electrolytes into their water? TYSM
You can buy electrolytes at your local farm store, you just add it in their water. The come in packets and there should be three packets in one.

An old wringer wash wood stand is from back in the day before washing machines were even thought of. I found them at a garage sale which was a great find for a couple dollars. People would put metal tubs on each side of the stand with a wringer in the middle that would be turned as the clothes were fed through and squeeze out the water/soap.

Back
Top Bottom