New coop planning questions

Idaho_Daniel

Hatching
Jan 29, 2020
The cost of building my dream coop has me considering other options.

One idea is sectioning off a back corner of the shop that came with house as a coop. For future resale I'd want to protect the existing floor and walls by building up a wood floor and covering the lower 3-4 feet of the walls. There is a dog door through the back wall that would become the pop door.

I've heard good things about linoleum to cover and protect the floor. Has anyone had success with other options?

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of putting the coop in the shop?

20201023_112841.jpg
Shop 2.jpg

Last edited:

cavemanrich

Enabler
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
Your concerns to keep shop somewhat pristine for future resale purposes,,,,,,,,,, DON'T BUILD IT INSIDE.
Questions.
How many chickens are you wanting to keep/raise?
Chickens do need a run outdoors, unless you want to build just a battery.

There are many other options for a good quick coop, ;; like repurposed travel camper, that can be purchased cheap.
Let me know your thoughts and desires,
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

BleuSaphir

Songster
Oct 24, 2012
Santa Clarita, CA
If such concern about building the coop in the structure...it seem you have plenty of space outside to dedicate space for a coop with run.

If it were me, I would build inside and have the run build outside. If I am ready to sell the property, Dismantle the indoor coop and put money to restore the structure how it was before.

Idaho_Daniel

Hatching
Jan 29, 2020
I don't think you realize just how much dust chickens generate and how much ventilation they need. I personally would not build inside the shop.
Is that a greenhouse I see right next to the shop?
2018-07-24 08.02.55.jpg

Yes, it's a greenhouse. I built it a couple years ago. Here's a picture of it as I'm standing on my roof. As you can see we do gardening and kids over here.

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
View attachment 2388919

Yes, it's a greenhouse. I built it a couple years ago. Here's a picture of it as I'm standing on my roof. As you can see we do gardening and kids over here.
I'd set them up in the greenhouse. You could make a predator proof area enclosed in 1/2" hardware cloth. Maybe put a hot wire around the outside of the greenhouse for use at night to keep curious predators from tearing the greenhouse. Turn it off during the day to prevent shrieking toddlers on the playground.

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
You * could* put them in the shop, but it really isn't advisable. There is that nice non-livestock heater in the upper right corner of the shop that would not like all the dust, and might become a fire hazard.

Best use of your shop for chickens is if you needed to separate one for a medical issue that needed treatment (a sort of mini-hospital), or if you got super cold temps one night or horrid weather (like 30F below or colder), and you might want to bring them in the for the night...kinda depends on your chickens and occasionally a storm is a particularly nasty one. But if you bring them in during cold weather, it isn't heat they need - just extra protection from the elements in an area that might be a bit warmer than outside. Some people find that bringing in a chicken that does not seem to be tolerating the extreme cold (or extreme heat) very well, helps bc the chicken seems to re-set its internal themostat with a 4 hour or overnight indoor stay. But, overall the chickens should not reside in your nice barn.

I love your yard and garden - how fun! I too have raised beds enjoy gardening! My chickens are in a raised coop on the outside/backside of our barn - our barn is not nearly as nice as yours, and we didn't put the chickens inside bc we wanted the space for other things.

Join the garden thread if you want: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-did-you-do-in-the-garden-today.670277/page-2709

Its pretty active, and fun to read about other garden activity.

Top Bottom