New coop & run project started

Have spent some time on this the last 2 weekends.

build bigger than you think! a smaller number of chicks won't mind the room, a larger number later will appreciate not being crowded!

cutandfit, that's going to make an awesome coop! I have plans drawn up for a 10x10 footprint as well, the actual coop will be smaller inside though

Sweet stuff there, nice deal!!!

Consider planning for 2 coop sections separated by a wire wall, temporary or with doors between.
Leave one section of building for storage of supplies.

Check out My Coop page to see how I did it.

Last edited:
That looks like a sweet deal. If I were building one that size from scratch I’d build an 8’ x 12’. Most building materials come in 4’ and 8’ dimensions so you can often save a lot of cost, cutting, and waste by planning around those dimensions but since yours is 10x10 and beyond that phase, you are doing great.

For ventilation I’d open the top few inches under that overhang and cover the opening with hardware cloth to keep predators out. They will love your shady spot but they need ventilation winter and summer in Illinois. I’d cover the windows with hardware cloth so you can open them in summer for more ventilation and close the windows in winter, just relying on the ventilation up high for the really cold months. Rain blowing in might be a problem so you might consider louvers or something else to try to slow that down. Ventilation is the only real concern I have with that. Other than that, it looks great.

In the summer, the more ventilation you can give them the better. In winter you don’t want a breeze blowing directly on them but you still need to exchange bad air for good air. With the openings in winter above their heads when they are on the roosts, you achieve that.

That is looking good!

That's exactly my plan, the birds get 6 feet, I get 4. I'll put in a cabinet and a couple of shelves right inside the door. I have built a nest box that will go in the framed hardware cloth divider wall, that has a slight slope to the bottom and the eggs will roll out the back side for easy collection. Kind of a throwback to the battery cages in the big laying house where I worked as a kid, just reversed. The walls will get osb panels and get primed and painted. I plan to put in several vents in the gables with sliding covers to control the amount of ventilation, and aluminum hoods over them outside to keep out the rain and direct hits from the wind. Already plan on covering windows and such with hardware cloth and adjustable shade awnings over them. I'm a fabricator in a sign and awning shop, have all the equipment I need. This thing will be like Fort Knox when complete, covered run too. We have hawks, possums, coons, foxes and coyotes. And an occasional stray cat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom