New coop, small, street legal :P

First “free ranging” attempt!

9E0A4E84-E56A-4E93-9CEE-7865143CA4A0.jpeg

...or 'popping' out, thus the name 'pop door'.
Do they go back in the run for shade?

They are in and out of the run for food and water, cant say I’ve seen them hunt for shade yet but we haven’t have them out earlier than 5pm. This weekend they will be out all day. We are hoping to leave them out all the time eventually

I received my float valve and chicken nipples today, just need a good looking container to install them in and Hang it in the coop
Which kind of nipples, Horizontal or Vertical?
'Training' can be tricky, some of them don't 'get it' right away,
beware of dehydration during the switch from open waterer to nipples.

The wife has four chicks coming on Saturday so over the last few weekends I threw a coop together. Like all good projects it got out of hand quick!

We live on Clear Lake (south of Houston), our yard is 5 or 6 feet above sea level so every few years we get a foot or two of water in the yard, and hurricane evacuations are all too frequent. Obviously a coop/run on the ground would be an issue, and chickens in the house or car doesn’t sound great. I have a garage (metal building) on high Ground a few miles away, so the natural solution was a coop I could move easily.

We only want a few chickens (for now! ha), so a small 4’x4’ coop and an 8x10 run, on a trailer, with max height less than 12’ fit the bill.

I was going to start with a 7x10 low-boy trailer, but that was really too much trailer for how little it will be moved around, and not cheap. Instead I picked up a 1200lb capacity trailer from harbor freight for a few hundred bucks

I built a pressure treated wood platform to serve as a run floor, started
some 2x6 and 2x10 boards lagged down to the trailer frame.

View attachment 2088892

from there I threw some concepts together

View attachment 2088893

used the model to get a materials list together then started building. I used 1/2 PT CDX for the run floor, and t25 drive 3” coated deck screws and 2x4 studs for 99% of the rest of the wood structure.

View attachment 2088929

View attachment 2088917

then I put three sides on the coop (4’x4’x4’) using LP SmartSide to match my house, and some roof framing for a hip roof at a 12:12 pitch

View attachment 2088950

View attachment 2088952

I continued with the lower roof framing, not really following proper framing techniques but I was trying to keep it as light weight as possible and minimize the areas I would have to seal up from predators

View attachment 2088955

i was going to put external nest boxes on, but in the process of building a poop board support I ended up with some 12”x14”x12” boxes, I figured why not see if they like/use them, if not I can add some external boxes pretty easily.

View attachment 2088963

Added the roost and poop board, also cut a pop door in. The run is going to be built very secure, and it is very warm here so no closable pop door yet, probably add one in the fall

View attachment 2088964
Built a door and a simple latch:

View attachment 2088965

View attachment 2088966
Also added a ramp from the run to the coop, just some scrap LP SmartSide and plywood cleats:

View attachment 2088968

since the run isn’t tall enough to walk in, I added doors running the full length on both 10’ sides, again with simple block latches:

View attachment 2088967

Then the lengthy and irritating process that is installing hardware cloth.I used galvanized 19ga. 1/2 stuff. I secured it with Coated 1” deck screws and 1.25” fender washers every 6” or less. Since it is so hot here I put 8 square feet of soffit venting on the coop that will be hidden under the eaves

View attachment 2088973

I started putting 29ga galvanized roofing panels on, made my own hip caps with extra panel, and the cap vent (four, 4” holes up top with hardware cloth, there is also venting under the length of the hip caps to let more heat out).

View attachment 2088974

View attachment 2088975

started on the lower roof but ran out of screws

View attachment 2088978

View attachment 2088980

View attachment 2088984

a few more roof screws, trim, ramp down to the yard, some paint, dirt/sand in the run and bedding in the coop and it’s done and functional for now. I also intend to build some gravity auto feeders, and put Gutters into a rain barrel for some chicken nipples over the next few weeks. The area below the coop door will house those things, and a bin directly below the door to scrape/clean the coop into and then compost or trash the waste.

The final thing to do is put the trailer lights on , and get a license plate! Of course the coop will get some 6x6 or 8x8 blocks at the corners and under the Axle so it isn’t supported by the tires, but it will be ready to roll up into the garage at the house for minor floods or tropical storms, and up to the big garage for a major storm.

I will update this thread as I put the finishing touches on the coop, hopefully it is tight enough to kee the raccoons, gators, and other predators out!
That is awesome! Way to think outside the box( or coop in this matter, lol)

Back
Top Bottom