New Coop! Upping My Game!

Many older juveniles and adults will fly right up there, but chicks can't, and some breeds can't. Production reds should be fine though.
Adding an extra step on the ground would help, or a ramp. Make it convenient for you too, so something easy to move, or hinged at the bottom of the opening and closes up, maybe?
Mary

The setup is pretty nice...the side panels all around flip up for chicken entry/exit.

My question is...should I build a few ramps? Or roost-like ladders? Or expect the birds to just hop up and down on their own?
A pic of the open panels would help...will you be able(or want to) to open those in winter too?

Here are a couple of photos of the doors closed and propped open.

coop1.jpg

coop2.jpg

There are 5 door of these doors on each of the long sides of the coop, which can all be opened and closed independently. This is a nice feature as I can open or close as many as desired based on the season, weather, any predators nearby, etc.

It's about 36" from the ground to the floor of the coop, so I may build at least one small roost/ladder (I'm sure the ladies won't mind some outdoor roosting space anyway).

I like that the door flips up and makes a little "roof" over the opening to protect from weather.

The doors, hinges, etc. are all in good shape. There is only one single board I'll need to replace, a 10 minute job once the weather is a bit warmer and dryer.

They could probably fly up there....but a step up halfway wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the input. That's what I'm thinking...maybe build a 6 foot long two-step roost out of 2x3 or slightly smaller gauge lumber, so they can use it to hop up if they want to, but also leaves plenty of space for those who just want to hop up and down.

Thank you! Yes, I plan on keeping everyone posted on my plans and progress (might even start a web site). But I'm very excited....today was like a second Christmas at my house. :)

My current flock is a mix of everything from easter eggers to Orpingtons to Polish. For the new girls, I'm thinking a high production layer, like, well, a red star. I'm looking for good feed-to-egg ratio, for reasons I'll explain later.

For egg production I say gold comets/isa browns. I have 4 gold comets that started laying at 20/21 weeks. They have not taken a day off yet and I get several jumbo a week. Last weighed 80 grams 2.8 ounces.

I was looking for an old camper to turn into a coop and design the run like a camp ground but no luck yet. I only have room for a dozen birds (legally 6), but most neighbors are cool.

For egg production I say gold comets/isa browns. I have 4 gold comets that started laying at 20/21 weeks. They have not taken a day off yet and I get several jumbo a week. Last weighed 80 grams 2.8 ounces.

Yeah, I've had some red stars that I think are the same thing as a golden comet, and they are exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for...great layers, smaller body size, good feed to egg conversion. ISA Browns are pretty close to the same, although they're a propriety mix...anyone know from experience if they're significantly better than other red hyrids?

I was looking for an old camper to turn into a coop and design the run like a camp ground but no luck yet. I only have room for a dozen birds (legally 6), but most neighbors are cool.

Ha ha...I love it! I could see that works out pretty well, actually, judging by the old 2nd (or maybe 3rd or 4th hand) camper my folks had when I was a kid.

The campsite idea for the run gives all kinds of fun options, too....chicken hammock, fire-pit dust batch with roost benches around it, etc. :D

Thanks for the input. That's what I'm thinking...maybe build a 6 foot long two-step roost out of 2x3 or slightly smaller gauge lumber, so they can use it to hop up if they want to, but also leaves plenty of space for those who just want to hop up and down.
Mine can hop up 16" with no wing action.

Back
Top Bottom