New Coop Ventilation Question

My coop is 6x6 and the run is 6x10.
How many chickens do you have with those dimensions? I originally planned on a 6x10 run, but real dimensions puts it at 9.7 per hen. I've been debating whether to extend my plans, but unsure if I want to then add yet another roof panel and have to cut that one down to size to match. And a 6x4 coop puts me at 4 per hen inside, however real dimensions would be closer to 3.5.

What did you use for siding? That's one of my biggest expenses. I've heard great things about the 3/8" Smartside panels, but they're not cheap. I was originally going to go T1-11, but that's about the same price. Could just go CDX plywood and paint it up real good to try and protect as much as possible. Half the cost per board, but worry about longevity. I was just going to take the hit and buy the actual siding.

Appreciate all the pictures. It looks like we have almost identical plans. I've just been trying to keep the construction easy and budget friendly, (which is near impossible with costs today, but you know what I mean), while also providing enough space for the birds so I don't have to try and extend later and allow it to stand up to the elements so I'm not making repairs or building another in 2 years :)

I made awnings for the upper "triangle" and hinged them. Always open to some extent, but on extremely windy weather, I tend to have the prevailing side open a couple inches, with opposite side open at least halfway. After the winter, they are open all the way.
That's a pretty good idea too. Thanks!

I originally planned on a 6x10 run, but real dimensions puts it at 9.7 per hen. I've been debating whether to extend my plans, but unsure if I want to then add yet another roof panel and have to cut that one down to size to match. And a 6x4 coop puts me at 4 per hen inside, however real dimensions would be closer to 3.5.
Make both bigger in your climate.
For during those nasty days on end blizzards/cold snaps where they may want to stay in the coop.
Those 4/10 numbers are bare minimum, in my and many others opinions.
More space is always better.

How many chickens do you have with those dimensions? I originally planned on a 6x10 run, but real dimensions puts it at 9.7 per hen. I've been debating whether to extend my plans, but unsure if I want to then add yet another roof panel and have to cut that one down to size to match. And a 6x4 coop puts me at 4 per hen inside, however real dimensions would be closer to 3.5.

What did you use for siding? That's one of my biggest expenses. I've heard great things about the 3/8" Smartside panels, but they're not cheap. I was originally going to go T1-11, but that's about the same price. Could just go CDX plywood and paint it up real good to try and protect as much as possible. Half the cost per board, but worry about longevity. I was just going to take the hit and buy the actual siding.

Appreciate all the pictures. It looks like we have almost identical plans. I've just been trying to keep the construction easy and budget friendly, (which is near impossible with costs today, but you know what I mean), while also providing enough space for the birds so I don't have to try and extend later and allow it to stand up to the elements so I'm not making repairs or building another in 2 years :)

I have 6 hens so I'm right at the limit on run space and a little over on coop space.

I'm also way over on ventilation requirements but being that it gets extremely hot and humid for the majority of the year here in VA I wanted plenty.

I used T111 for the siding. Not optimal but like you I was trying to keep things cheap as possible. Honestly I think I'm just going to throw a coat of paint on it every year help ensure it lasts as long as possible. Be aware that T111 really soaks up paint. I put 3 coats on initially and a month later it looked like it could use another, but by then we were into winter.

I got the windows off Amazon for $50/ea and the two doors were free from my work. All in all everything else material wise I figure I've got around $1,300-1,400 in it.

Thanks for the info. I decided to expand my setup and think it'll be much better now. Didn't have to add too much for materials, but either way will be worth it in the long run for the birds and myself.

What did you decide to do for the floor in the coop? Looks like maybe it's just earth and litter on top? If so, that's what I was planning on doing as well since I don't want any pests/critters to get underneath whatever floor we put down and don't want it to rot away eventually. If that's what you have, does that work pretty well for you, deep litter? Wasn't sure how I would contain it around the door and honestly probably not going to. Just kick back whatever might fall when I open the door lol.

Thanks for the info. I decided to expand my setup and think it'll be much better now. Didn't have to add too much for materials, but either way will be worth it in the long run for the birds and myself.

What did you decide to do for the floor in the coop? Looks like maybe it's just earth and litter on top? If so, that's what I was planning on doing as well since I don't want any pests/critters to get underneath whatever floor we put down and don't want it to rot away eventually. If that's what you have, does that work pretty well for you, deep litter? Wasn't sure how I would contain it around the door and honestly probably not going to. Just kick back whatever might fall when I open the door lol.

The floor in the coop is 3/4" CDX plywood, same thing used in residential subflooring for homes. Main reason for this was so it didn't get any messy than I knew it was going to be lol. Plus it keeps critters from getting in the coop from underneath the walls. I have treated 2x6's laid flat and nailed to the bottom plate of the walls underneath the CDX. The whole set up is fairly solid for a person to walk on and easily cleaned when its time to clean.

I would advise against using a "natural" floor (ground/earth) as its going to be very messy, harder to clean and less predator proof.

We started out using bags of pine flakes from TSC initially but once we found a local supplier we switched to straw. Cheaper and goes a lot further as far as cleanings.

Make both bigger in your climate.
For during those nasty days on end blizzards/cold snaps where they may want to stay in the coop.
Those 4/10 numbers are bare minimum, in my and many others opinions.
More space is always better.

This is worthwhile advice.

The reason I went with the mostly minimum requirements on the run was because I already had a 24x36' "free range" fenced off area that I made before I built my coop. The idea was to regularly let them out into that area.

As it stands they get let out into that area when I get home from work. Right now during the winter months that means maybe 1.5 - 2 hrs of free range time in the evenings. When we switch to summer it will obviously be quite a bit more. Also on the weekends when we're mostly home all the time they get that area at least half the day if not more.

If you don't have a set up like that then I would definitely suggest as large a run as possible. I feel like a "little" over on the coop is fine if you don't plan to add more birds, but the run should be as large as feasible.

Here's a pic of our "extended" run slash "free range" area.

20230203_165736.jpg

Thanks.

And yes I did. It can be seen in the BYC Coop Contest thread.

You can put a link to your coop page into your profile too. :)

Be aware that T111 really soaks up paint. I put 3 coats on initially and a month later it looked like it could use another, but by then we were into winter.

We have always found it worthwhile to use top-quality primer as a means of saving paint.

But for sheds, coops, etc. I like barn paint, which is formulated for use on unprimed, rough wood.

If you don't have a set up like that then I would definitely suggest as large a run as possible. I feel like a "little" over on the coop is fine if you don't plan to add more birds, but the run should be as large as feasible.

This.

It's good to remember that the Usual Guidelines are usually considered *minimums*.

The more space you can give your birds the more flexibility you have and the more resilience you have in the system to cope with the unforeseen.

Our coop is 20' long divided into 10x10 coops and I ran continuous soffit vent both front and back. Also have 3 3/0 5/0 double hung windows with 2 facing east 1 south. No problems. North and west walls are solid as our weather comes from that direction. Coop is 1/2" OSB wrapped in #15 lb felt sided in cedar clapboard. Purely functional, no gingerbread woodwork.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom