New coop ventilation.

bullriderswife

Chirping
Feb 28, 2019
Maine
Hi everyone. Our new coop is coming along nicely. Poop boards and roosts are done. We're planning on leaving openings where the roof rafters attach to the walls on each side. Covered with hardware cloth of course. The distance between the rafters is 16 inches. I was figuring on leaving 2 sections open on each side. ( above where the windows are).
I'm thinking that should be enough ventilation during the winter ? We can open the windows in the summer.
Do you think that is enough?
I'm also wondering if the ventilation is high enough over the roosts as to provide ventilation, but not drafts?.
Comments and suggestions welcome.
Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 20191115_154312.jpg
    20191115_154312.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191128_111051.jpg
    20191128_111051.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 32
Hi everyone. Our new coop is coming along nicely. Poop boards and roosts are done. We're planning on leaving openings where the roof rafters attach to the walls on each side. Covered with hardware cloth of course. The distance between the rafters is 16 inches. I was figuring on leaving 2 sections open on each side. ( above where the windows are).
I'm thinking that should be enough ventilation during the winter ? We can open the windows in the summer.
Do you think that is enough?
I'm also wondering if the ventilation is high enough over the roosts as to provide ventilation, but not drafts?.
Comments and suggestions welcome.
Thanks so much!
I would leave every space between the rafters open. They work best with a ridge vent. But I see purlins on your rafters. What type of roofing are you planning on?

I would leave every space between the rafters open. They work best with a ridge vent. But I see purlins on your rafters. What type of roofing are you planning on?
We already did metal roofing. Now im reading another thread about soneone having issues. Ugh... might need to add insulation to keep the warmer air in the coop from hitting the metal roof.

You want to vent that warm but moist air out of your coop. Stop thinking about keeping the coop warm. Make the coop so that the birds will keep themselves warm, just like the sparrows in the winter. Chickens need a dry coop to stay warm. For warmth they trap warm air under their feathers in all that down. Keep the drafts off the birds and they will do fine. I think with proper ventilation you shouldn't have trouble with condensation on that metal roof.

I know it all sounds strange. I thought so too when I first got my chickens. However, I decided to believe those who had been raising chickens for years. My coop is 6 by 8 feet. It can hold up to 12 birds. It has 10 square feet of ventilation that is never closed. Ventilation is up high, just under the eaves. Roosts are down low, only 20 inches from the floor. Even though we get in the -20s F the chickens are happy. They spend all day outside in their covered run. The run has 3 sides covered in clear plastic to keep the wind off the birds but allow sunlight in to warm the area.

I think with proper ventilation you shouldn't have trouble with condensation on that metal roof.
Even with copious ventilation, a metal roof will gather condensation if the conditions are right, cold temps with humid air.

Ugh... might need to add insulation to keep the warmer air in the coop from hitting the metal roof.
Might be easier to remove metal roofing and install either plywood or foam sheets between rafters and metal roofing. Daunting I know, but in the long run the best solution.
Then you can add...
They work best with a ridge vent.
...and some gable vents for when the ridge vent gets covered in snow.

I would also remove most the stands under the roosts,
they're gonna make it hard to clean under there.
Nice layout and building tho.

Back
Top Bottom