New Coop

charthorn

Songster
9 Years
Feb 19, 2012
New Mexico
Just finished a new coop for my meat birds. It's 20' x 4' and should hold 30 birds with no problem. Bulk feeders on each end, brooder in the middle, and a 20 gal water tank with self waters running down the middle. The floor is 1 inch hardware cloth (welded wire) three feet off the ground, keeping clean should be a breeze.
New Coop.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you do not get strong winds where you live as that setup looks top heavy without doing real footers and hurricane tie-downs. That was the only fault I see and the 1 inch wire bottom for the first week might be an issue even though you mention the center is for brooding. So you are running 2 8'x4' sections? With a 4x4' section devoted to brooding and water storage? Why build in the 3-3.5' elevation off the ground? The drainage ditch out back suggests the why of it. If flowing water is a possibility I would really consider anchoring those footings.

Construction looks excellent!

@RUNuts would be better able to evaluate capacity and offer a good critical eye.

Last edited:
I hope you do not get strong winds where you live as that setup looks top heavy without doing real footers and hurricane tie-downs. That was the only fault I see and the 1 inch wire bottom for the first week might be an issue even though you mention the center is for brooding. So you are running 2 8'x4' sections? With a 4x4' section devoted to brooding and water storage? Why build in the 3-3.5' elevation off the ground?

Construction looks excellent!

@RUNuts would be better able to evaluate capacity and offer a good critical eye.
Funny you should mention high winds. We just had two fronts come through with winds at 45 sustained and gusts to 65 for the last two days. It did awesome!! That's correct the center 4 x 4 is completely closed in except for the floor which is the 1 x 1 wire. For the first couple of weeks I'll staple cardboard with shavings on over the wire. Once they are big enough I'll remove the cardboard, open the side doors and let them into the side runs. I have a 20 gal water tank mounted up high in one of the side units with PVC pipe/w waterers running the entire length of the coop. I went 3' high for a couple of reasons, first it's easier to get the birds out and most importantly it's easier to clean up under it once I harvest the birds. I'll get my first chicks in September and will let you all know how it works out.

For weeks in and the new coop is working awesome, with all 30 doing great and clean. Next week I'll probably start sending some to freezer camp as they're edging close to 4#.

New coop 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom