New coop

Nice big run, though it could use some clutter (see this awesome thread for ideas).

You say that the chickens are sleeping on the floor of the coop itself, down below the nest boxes?

That's odd because chickens normally want to sleep as high as possible. Most people put the roost above the nest boxes so that the chickens won't sleep in the boxes.

Perhaps moving the roost up would make it seem like a more desirable sleeping spot?

lol thanks 😊 Not quite finished yet. It’s been a huge job! 🥵 Yes still needs cutting up to catch there water. wire on roof n around the base. just wanted to get my girls out of there small coop.. even though they are free range 🐓
I had the roost bar up higher I have put them down lower to see what happens tonight. Thank you for your information much appreciated 😃 I’ve never had chickens before and I want to do the right thing by them

Sometimes it just takes them a while to adjust? If you’ve moved them from the small coop to the bigger one, it takes a while for them to get their bearings and figure out what to do. I put mine in their coop (from their brooder) with the roosts and they kept sleeping in a pile on the floor. I kept trying to rejig the roosts (moving them up then down and then changing the layout etc), I didn’t give them enough time to figure it out before I tried something new. Eventually I just gave up changing the interior and resigned myself to the fact that they would just sleep on the floor. Then wonder of wonders the following night, I found them all on the topmost roost. :lol: I was just too impatient and kept changing the set up without giving them the chance to figure it out. So give them a couple of days to get used to their new digs. They will probably find the highest roosting point as they adjust to their new surroundings.

Sometimes it just takes them a while to adjust? If you’ve moved them from the small coop to the bigger one, it takes a while for them to get their bearings and figure out what to do. I put mine in their coop (from their brooder) with the roosts and they kept sleeping in a pile on the floor. I kept trying to rejig the roosts (moving them up then down and then changing the layout etc), I didn’t give them enough time to figure it out before I tried something new. Eventually I just gave up changing the interior and resigned myself to the fact that they would just sleep on the floor. Then wonder of wonders the following night, I found them all on the topmost roost. :lol: I was just too impatient and kept changing the set up without giving them the chance to figure it out. So give them a couple of days to get used to their new digs. They will probably find the highest roosting point as they adjust to their new surroundings.

well thank you! You are spot on, when out to check on my girls. Well guess what.. yep on their roost I’m so happy 😀 just need to be patient 😂🤦‍♀️

well thank you! You are spot on, when out to check on my girls. Well guess what.. yep on their roost I’m so happy 😀 just need to be patient 😂🤦‍♀️

Yeah we care too much :lol: . I had the extra variable because I have a mixed bantam flock with one Silkie. And I kept reading about how Silkies can’t fly and have problems getting up high and how some Silkie keepers just let them sleep in a pile on the floor or just have a low roost. So I kept rejigging the roosts every day. To my amazement, she got up to the top roost as well when I gave them the chance to settle in. That‘s beautiful new digs for your girls by the way. Love it.

Yeah we care too much :lol: . I had the extra variable because I have a mixed bantam flock with one Silkie. And I kept reading about how Silkies can’t fly and have problems getting up high and how some Silkie keepers just let them sleep in a pile on the floor or just have a low roost. So I kept rejigging the roosts every day. To my amazement, she got up to the top roost as well when I gave them the chance to settle in. That‘s beautiful new digs for your girls by the way. Love it.

Thank you! 😃 I love the way the coop n run turned out. Not finished yet! Almost 👏🏻👏🏻 Yeah I was just so stressed out! 🤯 What’s was going on? I was like a new mother checking on her baby all the time 😂 I love my girls they come running to me when they see me, follow me around like a dog their just so cool 🐓 thanks once‘s again for your advice 😄🥂

Back
Top Bottom