New Coop

sheila59

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 18, 2016
We have recently moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee and we are getting ready to build our new Chicken coop. I would like any thoughts on what you like or don't like in a coop. I am trying to avoid too many mistakes. I am going to start with 15 or 20 hens and will add each year as I lose some so maybe up to 30 or so eventually. Trying to build on a budget so any ideas along those lines would be appreciated.

As far as building on a budget look for unwanted materials/windows on Craigslist or other such sites. Also you can sometimes find a decent coop or shed that can be modified.

Even though you're on a budget don't cheap out on the important things. Hardware cloth instead of chicken wire is worth the extra cost. If your coop will be raised take the time to cement in or bolt down the stilts so it can't be knocked over.

Also taking the time to dig around the perimeter to add some hardware cloth or fencing will help with any predators that might dig their way in to the coop.

The best thing we did on ours IMO is a slide out poop tray under the roost. It makes the clean up so much easier.

Craigslist, or FB market place. Definitely use poop boards, bedding lasts so much longer.

Where about in Tennessee did you move to?
Wife and I are planning on moving to Tennessee when she retires in 4 yrs. We've started researching different areas, but its difficult to narrow it down.

Several years ago when I built my coop, I incorporated minimizing chores into my design. Here are a few things to consider. 1) large feeder, something that will hold enough feed for 2 to 4 weeks. 2) large water system. Mine will hold enough water for 2 months or so. You may not want something this big, but something big enough that you don't have to attend to frequently. 3) If predators are a concern, an automatic door. 4) Nest boxes that can be accessed from outside the coop. This way you don't have to enter the coop every time to gather your eggs. 5) Don't let the lack of electricity determine your location. Mine has single solar panel from Amazon, and a small $30 garden tractor battery from Walmart. This is enough power for my automatic door, and a a couple of LED lights that are on for 2 to 3 hours in the evening. However if you are going to need a heat source, this system would not produce enough current to handle any kind of heating element. For heating element you would need to be tied to electrical.

Craigslist, or FB market place. Definitely use poop boards, bedding lasts so much longer.

Where about in Tennessee did you move to?
Wife and I are planning on moving to Tennessee when she retires in 4 yrs. We've started researching different areas, but its difficult to narrow it down.
We are in Northwest TN. Absolutely loving it. We had wanted a place in eastern TN but couldn't find anything that would fit our needs. Our house sold the first day we had it on the market so we had to find something in a hurry. We only have about 10 acres but all good land.

We are in Northwest TN. Absolutely loving it. We had wanted a place in eastern TN but couldn't find anything that would fit our needs. Our house sold the first day we had it on the market so we had to find something in a hurry. We only have about 10 acres but all good land.
Were researching the eastern part. Our concern with the western side is storms/tornadoes. But just doing quick searches don't show many properties we would be interested in on the east side.
I'm more than a tad envious, but happy for you guys. Possibly we'll be neighbors in about 4yrs.

We have recently moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee and we are getting ready to build our new Chicken coop. I would like any thoughts on what you like or don't like in a coop. I am trying to avoid too many mistakes. I am going to start with 15 or 20 hens and will add each year as I lose some so maybe up to 30 or so eventually. Trying to build on a budget so any ideas along those lines would be appreciated.
Ask around to people in your neighborhood or work place if they have any kind of scrap metal, wood, etc. Could save you a lot of money

I have built 1 free and one about 8 dollar coop.

I scrounge! I looked through construction trash, which is a gold mine, and also gathered junk people no longer wanted... hunting stand, fuel oil stand, truck camper top.... also I drove around to places that use pallets and asked which ones I could take..

Stop at any construction site and ask.. often old windows are just tossed..

Anyway... make sorted piles of junk,then lay it all out on the lawn or parking area,and decide how it will all fit together.

I have managed to scrounge free fence... but it is probably impossible to find free quality fence. You will probably have to spend money on fence.

For Tennessee, I would HIGHLY recommend a coop with at least one full wall of wire, and the wall opposite that half wire, that you can maybe shutter, or louver or some such in winter. But keep the front wire wall always open.

Most people close up coops way too much in hot climates. In hot climates, at least in the summer time, you WANT a breeze at perch level.

I am sure Tennessee is way colder than Texas.... but I grew up in Texas,and down there, even though it does on occasion snow and have ice... wide open coops with a breeze at perch level are great.

You do however need to really watch predator proofing.

Back
Top Bottom