New Coop

NY Coturnix

Songster
May 12, 2020
New York
I have 11 chickens (I think they're 3 to 4 months old) that I'm finally getting a coop for. They've gone from brooder to one of those larger outdoor cages and now their overez coop will be in place this weekend. I've raised turkey for a year and have had quail for 2 but this is my first experience with chickens. They will have a coop with a run and then I have electric poultry fencing area. The run wont be ready but I'm going to let them roam in the poultry fenced area that the turkey use. I'm not letting them out with the turkey. I'll put them in there pen when the chickens are out. My question is will they just go back in there coop on their own? Should I keep them in the coop for a little while first so they learn that's their area? Don't want to be chasing them all over to get them back inside.

Any advise apreciated.

I placed my chickens in the hen house for at least one night so they got used to the hen house and chicken run so they knew it was home. After that my chickens just went back to the chicken pen every night.

This is what I did and it worked for my chickens but it could be different for you depending on your chickens.

I placed my chickens in the hen house for at least one night so they got used to the hen house and chicken run so they knew it was home. After that my chickens just went back to the chicken pen every night.

This is what I did and it worked for my chickens but it could be different for you depending on your chickens.
Thank you

Depending on your temperatures if it's safe to lock them in for a few days, that's the quickest way to home them to a coop.

Over EZ coops need additional ventilation put in, so keep that in mind as well in determining if it's safe locking them in.

Back
Top Bottom