new coop

afoot

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
my husband finished building the chicken coop, and as I was sweeping the inside out, I noticed a lot of black mold on the wood in the inside. I don't want to get chickens and put them in an unhealthy environment. Will bleach take care of the problem? How long should I wait before I get chickens? I've never had chickens before, and appreciate any advice anyone has! Thank you so much.
afoot

it sounds like the wood got wet before you put the roof on. If you leave it and the no water gets on it, it will be fine. If you want to try and get rid of it you could use 60-80 grit sandpaper.

Also you can dry it out well, wire brush with a dust mask on, then apply kilz primer that should take care of it.

U can google for the different kinds of mold but bleach will take care of black mold. Just be sure to air it out good before u let the chicks in or dry before u paint it. Kilz paint will also seal it in . I recently had my air conditioner back up and flood my basement and had all kinds of mold to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom