New Country Organics decline in quality

Maybe I missed it or am overlooking the post, but what pellets did you ultimately switch to?

I had always been using Natures Best Organic pellet as a "supplement" so that is the one I ultimately switched to. I would like to use a soy-free pellet, and NB is supposed to have come out with one available in August but I have not checked Tractor Supply yet. I may just stick to what I'm using.

Great info. Thank you. I did look up rapeseed and yes, brassica. Wikipedia says "The byproduct is a high-protein animal feed, competitive with soybean".

So I did get a call back from Natures Best and their soy-free pellet didn't hit the "reset" at Tractor Supply in the recent 'reset', but it did for the next 'reset' which he says is in August so it will be available in TS in August, so that great.

Southern States is only available if you have a SS that is independent and can still special order things on their own. Whether or not SS will carry it is a different story. He does not know. It is up to SS. My SS does not carry Nature's Best, but I will see if he can special order it for me. If I have to wait till August, that is fine. I'll keep using the one I'm using now.
Just a note on the NB soy free. I saw on the TSC website that they have added both Nutrena (formerly Agway) Hearty Hen soy free layer & 10 lb. bags of Manna Pro soy free Non GMO layer feed, but no sign of Nature's Best Soy free. I would only be interested in the meat bird feed anyway, for my guineas. I am totally happy being able to get Green Mountain soy free locally & it's actually cheaper than NB. The NB was rumored to be out last August & now this August & is still a no show.

Yeah, TS was supposed to get it in August. I'll be needing to buy some feed this week. I'll call NB and see what happened. The mgr of sales is who I spoke with. He promised it'd be in TS in August so I'll tell you what he says. I've used the Manno Pro before, but for some reason chickens don't like it. Will get back to you. Thanks.

I know I am very late to the conversations, but I am redeemed to see that it isn't just my flock picking through NCO. I called them last year about the waste in the feed that was not so bad with my previous flock. The folks at NCO acted like they've never heard of birds not eating the pale peas, or the excess powder. Perhaps the decline in quality that others have noticed, as I have, could be to blame.

I've taken to covering the feeders throughout the day to force the flock to clean up some of the waste, but it still isn't enough. Has anyone tried the new pellets? I really hate to lose the egg quality, but I'd love to put an end to the waste.

When I first began using it, the stuff was great. It smelled good, had a rich golden brown appearance, and evenly balanced with the peas and other grains, and my hens did great. As time passed it just seemed to have a few blips in consistency and then it just became a pale powdered mess. I did call several times through the years, but I kept thinking the next bag would be good again. Nope. Just worse. Then sour crop after sour crop. I'm SO glad I switched to pellets only. I should've trusted my instincts. This year, after losing two hens and nursing two hens that recovered, I made the switch to pellets only and I'll never look back! I'll never use a grain feed again. I'll just stick to what I'm using. They're all fine, and their poops look like good chicken poops. Used to be a science project!! Never knew what I'd find! I will def stick to pellets. I give them pellets in a feeder, and every morning they get a pellet mash (pellets soaked in water. Can't be too thick, can't be too thin, has to be just right. :) They love it.

I have been using NCO for almost 2yrs. I also ferment their whole grains. Recently I have tried their pelleted formula but only as fermented. My girls love both the whole grain and pellets fermented.. they are offered the whole grain free choice in which they do pick out the goodies first. But since fermenting them, they seem to eat almost all of it. Hope this helps..

As others have mentioned, I agree that the freshness plays a part in how well the feed is consumed. I have switched dealers to one that keeps the feed in a climate controlled storefront, instead of a warehouse. It appears that the fresher feed is better received by my flock. Although they still spoon through it, when the feeders are covered they seem to clean up the waste better.

Back
Top Bottom