New Crazy Chicken Lady Member in Seattle!

gnomeanne

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2021
Hi folks! Happy to be here!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Very new! Just picked up my chicks today. :)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Five!

(3) What breeds do you have?

All bantams! Buff Brahma, barred Plymouth Rock, Green Queen Easter Egger, and two D'uccles (porcelain and mille fluer)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I'm simply obsessed with birds and have been wanting to raise some of my own for a while. So far, my favorite aspect is simply how happy this hobby makes me! I'm looking forward to how chickens fit into my advancements in gardening--more sustainability, permaculture, and organic methods. I also plan on raising them as pets, and will let the ladies live out their lives even after egg production--it's only fair in my view! :)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, hiking, gaming, reading

To quote a favorite author: "Oh, the places you'll go," on your chicken-raising journey!

I applaud your intention to let your girls live out their lives after egg-laying is over. As a retiree, I'm really glad we don't kill off older folks who may be less productive :). All of my chickens spend their retirement years living their best possible lives here.

I also love Bantams (although broodiness can be an issue; my barred girl really doesn't go broody; my frizzle LIVES to do so) and I am completely on board with your gardening goals.

Welcome to BYC! It's really nice to meet you, and I hope your flock flourishes!

Back
Top Bottom