New Deep Litter coop - managing ammonia in a really damp climate?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jendodd79, Jan 1, 2013.

1. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    Our coop is new as of October and we've had chickens out there since the beginning of November. We have 8 hens. The coop is 32sqft and 8 feet high. It has a window that is 6ftX2ft on the one side and then another vent above the door.

It is SO damp this time of year in BC - it's hard for anything to dry out. We've been using shavings, and a few flakes of straw, as well as dry leaves as they blow up in to the greenhouse.

The litter is about 12in when I fluff it up and turn it. I've been turning it every few days. Today I noticed a very strong smell of ammonia when I turned it, so I opened the door for awhile to air it out. I think it's near impossible for it to be dry, when we have 6 months of rain!

Any ideas? Should I take out half the litter and throw another bale of fresh shavings in?

2. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Ive been battling w/ damp bedding too. The coop they are in isnt insulated & I'm having condensation issues due to overcrowding. So instead of doing deep litter in this coop, I clean it out every 3-4 days. I just put in about 2 buckets full of shavings (coop is 4x4) & replace w/ fresh shavings. It's not my ideal way of chicken keeping, but it's gonna have to work for now because I can't get rid of my girls! Haven't been having any ammonia issues since I switched over to this. I even tried using DE & Stall Dri to keep the bedding dry, but it didnt help.
    Good luck!!

3. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    I had the same problem here in Seattle and I was told to try Sweet PDZ. It is like a sandy powderish substrate that is sold as "horse stall refresher". It is amazing stuff, it really cuts down the ammonia and helps absorb moisture really well. I cleaned out all the shaving from my coop, covered the entire floor with the sweet pdz and then put new shavings on top of it. Every few days I sprinkle some more sweet pdz over the shavings. The stuff is amazing

4. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    Thank you! I'll see if our town has that!

5. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    If you are getting Condensation inside the coop then you still need some more ventilation at the top of the Coop.

6. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    I haven't noticed any condensation, but I will definitely look tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by