New dog advice.

Pics
I really hate to tell you all this, but I don’t have a choice.

We decided not to adopt him. Here’s why:

At 5 o’clock this morning, I left to go waterfowl hunting. I left the dog at home with my mother and Buster. My mom has pneumonia, so she couldn’t exactly keep an eye on him.

When I got back at about 12:45, empty-handed, I discovered that he chewed up my $35 hymn book and several of my brothers books. He made a very big mess.

Me and my family are way too busy to raise a puppy right now. We can’t give him the constant supervision that he needs. It’s probably better to take him back to the shelter, and let another family adopt him.

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with my family. We can’t do this right now.
Praying for your mom's recovery! Pneumonia is a nasty thing and understandably she needs her rest.

I'm sure you were a great stepping stone to helping the dog establishing trust toward people, and helped him along with potty training, to boot. Hopefully the shelter will relay his improved manners to the next prospective family! Gold star for potty training, but no stars for chewing 🙄

Kudos for making the best decision for all involved. So very many critters end up dumped, abandoned, in shelters because folks don't have the forethought or gumption to admit that getting a new pet might not be a good fit, or the timing isn't right, or we can't really afford this pet, or 'fill in the blank'. Thankfully you and your family have given Charlie's adoption lots of thought. As someone mentioned, it could be in Charlie's favor to share with the shelter the behaviors you were able to observe during his stay with you, both the good points and those where he needs a bit more work. Best of luck to you all.

At 5 o’clock this morning, I left to go waterfowl hunting. I left the dog at home with my mother and Buster. My mom has pneumonia, so she couldn’t exactly keep an eye on him.

When I got back at about 12:45, empty-handed, I discovered that he chewed up my $35 hymn book and several of my brothers books. He made a very big mess.

Me and my family are way too busy to raise a puppy right now. We can’t give him the constant supervision that he needs. It’s probably better to take him back to the shelter, and let another family adopt him.

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with my family. We can’t do this right now.
you know. It is Ok to say, well, this did not work out.
You gave it your best shot, and you discovered that the dog is basically Ok, just a tad mouthy. That is feedback that can help the shelter to evaluate his new home.
Not many people I know would have gone through the trouble to round him up AND fostered him.
Too bad it's not working out wt the time.
Such is life though.

I hope your mother recovers soon.

Personal I'd have had him set in a cage when I left the home, if here I'd be worried about him attacking my cat.

I hope the shelter listens too his good efforts and fixes him. That sometimes calms them down

What about a German shorthaired pointer?

A friend of mine came over and told us that’s what it looks like. We looked at pictures on the Internet, and there is a big similarity, except for the ears.
Assuming him to be a mix of breeds, I was wondering if he might have a little Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler/ Red Heeler).

They have upright ears, so a cross might have ears like Charlies does.
And the speckled coat appears to be pretty common when they are crossed with other breeds.

I'm sorry Charlie didn't work out Jared, but as others said, good for you and your family realizing you don't have the time to monitor and raise him. Some dogs are mops, others are race cars, others in between. Charlie needs someone with enough space for him to be fenced outside for exercise and who has the time to work off his energy. I'm sure he will make someone a great pet/friend.

Sorry, Jared, didn't get alerts for this, so just now reading. I agree with others that you did fine, and even this decision, though difficult, was the right one for all concerned. A dog is like 2-year old kid, and Charlie was a young dog. Young dogs chew. That's what they do. And bark. You can't stop these behaviors, you can only manage them. And only when you have the time and energy, which you didn't. You made the right choice. Best wishes and prayers for your mom's speedy recovery. I know you're taking good care of her! :hugs

Got a “pupdate” for you all.

Buster seems to be getting along better. He still growls every once in a while when Charlie gets too close. I think he’s adapting. Charlie is also learning not to get in Busters face.

We found a chewed up wicker basket this morning. Charlie sure likes to chew on things.

So we got him a few dog toys he could chew on.

I’m trying to figure out how to teach him basic commands, like coming when called, recognizing his name, stay, heel, that type of stuff.

If we do adopt him, I need to teach him these things before I teach him how to be a bird hunting dog.
Obedience classes

Back
Top Bottom