New Duck coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WestKnollAmy, Jun 24, 2011.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Always growing and expanding! But this time I had a little help![​IMG]

I bought these for $12 each. Soooo many possibilities here. I have several but this is my first completed one.
    I love the heavy skids on bottom and the open tops.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So you can see I painted them inside. I wanted one to be light blue so I painted it and added 6" to the top on back and 8" to the front and put hardware cloth around inside there and attached it.

[​IMG]

It took me a while to think how I wanted to work in the roof since I am simply terrible at doors and such. I swear I can do angles better than putting on doors but since this is a duck coop and I needed to get to eggs I wanted to be able to lift the roof. It took a great deal of thought and energy in this heat to get this worked out.

[​IMG]

I put on the PVC roof over the plywood.

[​IMG]

I hinged the front, which is not put on as I thought it would work out but again, there is something about me and hinges and door like projects![​IMG]

[​IMG]

It feels stable now but I can foresee the screws and hinges not holding up after a year or two. I put a handle to the back so I can easily grab, hold and help raise it. And there is a bit of overhang on the back for water to run off.

[​IMG]

A bit more paint and put on the door, which may have some hardware cloth in the upper half for more ventilation, and I will be ready to move in some ducks. I like the overhang on the front, too. This faces east but we sometimes get snow blowing in from that direction.

[​IMG]

Not much cost in this one as I already had most materials here and the paint was the stuff they put out that was rejected by someone. One blue gallon....$7 and the gray stuff was one gallon for $5 and left over from another project I had. This coop cost me less than $75.

Not bad for an old woman by herself.
    Unfortunately the costs for these crates has now gone up to $15 but I have several here already. I have another painted the same color beside it I need to finish.
    It is just so hot outside I don't want to do much. I just need that door done but I am being lazy.

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy the pix and get some ideas for your next project![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. pmhobia

pmhobia Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    That is awesome! My husband gets these for free at this job. If only I could get him to build one of these for me. [​IMG]

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Great duck hut, I think I will build mine a lot like yours!

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Very slick. I wish I could get some of those. They are much bigger then what I have found. I got a couple of crates and I turned them into brooder boxes. My last crate was a great size and I really jazzed it up.

[​IMG] This works great for the summer. I can close up the openings with the cut out pieces. Also, I put hinges on the top so I can lift the lid.

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Cool beans! I like that!
    I have smaller ones and everyone says I should make brooders out of them but once I re-do it it would still be heavy and not really as big as I I like my brooders but I may take a page from your notebook and work on one to make it like yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by