New duck house in spring.

SerenaMcIntyre

Chirping
Jul 7, 2020
So its time for us to build a new duck house. What do you: love, wish you'd done differently, want to add to your duck house?

Anyone have any reason (aside from cost) to believe going taller( thinking 6ft) would be a bad idea?

I agree, taller is much better if it’s possible. Easier for you when you need to go in, better for ventilation and moving that air up and away from the birds... personally I think they look nicer too. Lol.
Things I would change with mine? Triple the square footage. Because duck math, just like chicken math, is so real... and not only that, the bedding would stay cleaner for longer with more space. Oh, and I would have arranged things a little differently so I could set up their water without them turning the entire house into a pond. Mine is just a square shed with a nest box attached, and I didn’t think beyond “they’ll sleep in here”. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I agree, taller is much better if it’s possible. Easier for you when you need to go in, better for ventilation and moving that air up and away from the birds... personally I think they look nicer too. Lol.
Things I would change with mine? Triple the square footage. Because duck math, just like chicken math, is so real... and not only that, the bedding would stay cleaner for longer with more space. Oh, and I would have arranged things a little differently so I could set up their water without them turning the entire house into a pond. Mine is just a square shed with a nest box attached, and I didn’t think beyond “they’ll sleep in here”. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Thats so true, I didn't even think about ventilation!! And yes 100% to keeping bedding cleaner longer lol

Our duck houses have been very tall, over 6 feet. Also very large. We have a 10x10 foot room in the barn for 3 ducks right now. We have wood floors with linoleum on the top and up the walls. Ducks poop a lot, and when they are sleeping they seem to aim up. I put 4-6 inches of straw down on top of the linoleum for a soft bedding, and empty it out weekly. Ducks can get sores on their feet from hard surfaces.

I like that we have plenty of extra space. I feel good about providing a good home for my birds. I think I likely don't have to clean as frequently. I also like that I can easily move around inside the duck house. I need to use a pitch fork and broom in there. I also appreciate the space for those times when I need to medicate ducks.

We didn't rat proof our duck house until after it was built, and doing that afterward was more challenging than if we had done it during the set up. We had to pull off the linoleum, shove metal plates in the corners, ect. We think we are rat and weasel proof now.

Our first duck house was just wooden on the bottom, and I didn't like how I couldn't clean the poop off. I think most people don't mind this, though.

Our duck houses have been very tall, over 6 feet. Also very large. We have a 10x10 foot room in the barn for 3 ducks right now. We have wood floors with linoleum on the top and up the walls. Ducks poop a lot, and when they are sleeping they seem to aim up. I put 4-6 inches of straw down on top of the linoleum for a soft bedding, and empty it out weekly. Ducks can get sores on their feet from hard surfaces.

I like that we have plenty of extra space. I feel good about providing a good home for my birds. I think I likely don't have to clean as frequently. I also like that I can easily move around inside the duck house. I need to use a pitch fork and broom in there. I also appreciate the space for those times when I need to medicate ducks.

We didn't rat proof our duck house until after it was built, and doing that afterward was more challenging than if we had done it during the set up. We had to pull off the linoleum, shove metal plates in the corners, ect. We think we are rat and weasel proof now.

Our first duck house was just wooden on the bottom, and I didn't like how I couldn't clean the poop off. I think most people don't mind this, though.
We are getting ready to turn an old horse stall into a duck coop. Can you give me more info on what you did to rat/mouse proof?

We're the same as far as wanting to provide a good home for our ducks!! Our current house is 4ft tall and opens on both ends for push through cleaning but with everything going on in the world we feel like its a good time.to expand our flock!!

More than anything I want to be able to stand up and clean easily!!

Right now we have lino and then click together decking tiles (would highly recommend these) on top of that the about an inch of horse pellet style bedding and 6inches of straw on top of that.

I cant wait to be able to stand up in the new one 😍😍😍

I am going to build a new coop in spring as well. My current coop is only 4 ft tall and I plan make my new one only a little bit taller but hinge the roof so I can open it to stand up straight for big cleaning. I want mine short because it stays warmer in the winter (heat rises), ducks naturally go under low shrubs and mine seem to like it, and so it can’t be seen over my six foot privacy fence by the neighbors . If those things aren’t an issue, make it tall.

Back
Top Bottom