New duck mama

DuckMama_19

Hatching
May 29, 2020
Alright everyome im new to this. I raised 9 chickens and that was easy. But im struggling with my ducks. So a few things. I have 4 mallard and 4 peckin ducks. I tried introducing them but the peckins attack my others. I havr a blind mallard duck. Tips?

Secondly im looking for cheap diy duck coops and ponds. Cant dig in my yard as we are renting. So tips tricks on building a pond that helps having a way to filter water.

Lastly how big of an area do they need. Thanks for any and all info

:welcome How old are your ducks and haven't they ever been together ? as for your blind one you may have to always have a separate place for this one. Maybe with another one as company since they don't do well alone. Place their pens side by side though so they can all be together but technically apart. Explain how you are trying to integrate them.
a 4X8' duck house with back facing prevailing winds 8X10 ft yard[pen] with 4-6' high fencing recommended hardware wire at least 3'up from bottom cover welded wire. 6sq' per bird since you have a large breed like Pekin. Most of us just use a kiddy pool I have a large one for my 18 water fowl and a smaller one for when I have to separate. I just drain the water out and the water with added poop fertilizes the ground. Trees etc.

Most info came from Storey's guide to raising ducks and highly recommended for anyone starting out with waterfowl.

Last edited:
I am new to ducks too. They are really cool!!!! I am from the farm and have had all types of animals. Had no idea how fun and personable ducks are!!!! I use a small hard plastic kiddie pool as it is easy to dump and clean. They love it! we are planning a actual pond this year, too. I am planning to let my females sit on a nest this spring. We typically gather the eggs for consumption - yummy! good luck - they are a hoot! Deb

:welcome How old are your ducks and haven't they ever been together ? as for your blind one you may have to always have a separate place for this one. Maybe with another one as company since they don't do well alone. Place their pens side by side though so they can all be together but technically apart. Explain how you are trying to integrate them.
a 4X8' duck house with back facing prevailing winds 8X10 ft yard[pen] with 4-6' high fencing recommended hardware wire at least 3'up from bottom cover welded wire. 6sq' per bird since you have a large breed like Pekin. Most of us just use a kiddy pool I have a large one for my 18 water fowl and a smaller one for when I have to separate. I just drain the water out and the water with added poop fertilizes the ground. Trees etc.

Most info came from Storey's guide to raising ducks and highly recommended for anyone starting out with waterfowl.

So my ducks are about 2 months old. I bought them as ducklings. We've tried to integrate them by placing them in neutral territory. My blind one does great with the other mallards. It squaks alot if its not with more than one. Its fun. Also any possible diy linjs to build house and pen so i have an idea. I love my babies! I have a kiddie pool right now but hubby wants something a little bigger without digging a pond

I am new to ducks too. They are really cool!!!! I am from the farm and have had all types of animals. Had no idea how fun and personable ducks are!!!! I use a small hard plastic kiddie pool as it is easy to dump and clean. They love it! we are planning a actual pond this year, too. I am planning to let my females sit on a nest this spring. We typically gather the eggs for consumption - yummy! good luck - they are a hoot! Deb

Thanks! I love my ducks. Its fun watching them. Found out they love watermelon

Thanks! I love my ducks. Its fun watching them. Found out they love watermelon
Have you tried cutting one of those big watermelons in half the long way and just put it in their run like a big red bowl? It is hysterical to watch them like little piranhas. Mine eat all the way down to the thin green skin leaving only that behind.

Have you tried cutting one of those big watermelons in half the long way and just put it in their run like a big red bowl? It is hysterical to watch them like little piranhas. Mine eat all the way down to the thin green skin leaving only that behind.

I havent yet

Back
Top Bottom