New duck mom!

Dejo63

Chirping
Jul 13, 2021
Hi all! I've become a new duck mom this summer to 5 ducks. I brought them home at a week old, and are now about 7 weeks.
My Crested has been a challenge from the get go, with balance issues, falling and ending up on her back constantly. I have studied, read and tried multiple things, including niacin in her water, quality duckling starter, herbs,.. when she was tiny she spent alot of time in her own box with heat lamp food and water.
Now that they are outside and living in their duck condo,..she seemed to be getting stronger and falling less. She was getting in and out of the pool on her own.. Swimming in her pool seemed to be strengthening her legs, but, the last couple of days she seems to have taken a turn for the worse. She falls, rolls on her back, can't right herself... when she sits,, seems like she is over preening her thighs, like they are bothering her... she is walking less. I need help figuring this out... my vet gave me an antibiotic a few weeks ago, and something for a possible ear infection...but, it didn't seem to help, and he said it was a long shot...
After she eats, her head/neck starts wrenching to the side so hard it makes her fall over.... ??
I'll take any advise i can get. Thank you so much.

Welcome. Sorry about your duck. Crested ducks are prone to neurological issues, like seizures because of their skull abnormality. It is possible that this is what is going on with your duck. If you post in the duck forum, you may get some more info from other crested duck owners and their knowledge about them.

I'm not a duck person but, I think crested ducks have a section of their skull that didn't harden over. Just have skin over it much, like a problem in silkie chickens with vaulted skulls. A bump or peck to the head can cause seizures, head posture down to the ground, walking backwards etc.

Welcome. Sorry about your duck. Crested ducks are prone to neurological issues, like seizures because of their skull abnormality. It is possible that this is what is going on with your duck. If you post in the duck forum, you may get some more info from other crested duck owners and their knowledge about them.
I'm trying to figure out where the duck forum is... 😊

I'm not a duck person but, I think crested ducks have a section of their skull that didn't harden over. Just have skin over it much, like a problem in silkie chickens with vaulted skulls. A bump or peck to the head can cause seizures, head posture down to the ground, walking backwards etc.
I am concerned it may just be something that can't be fixed,. But, hoping for the best..

Thank you! I'm super new here, and I'm just trying to figure out how to use this forum properly. I'm looking forward to hopefully get some good advise from more experienced folks! 😊
Crested ducks suffer quite a few different things because of their big afros, I've only ever had one crested.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with vitamins but that's kinda what I'm thinking. I think your duck might benefit from a vitamin E capsule, it's just a gut feeling but it could turn out to be nothing to do with vitamin E. I'll be praying for your little duck.

Back
Top Bottom