new duck owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 907ak49, Jun 21, 2016.

1. 907ak49

907ak49 New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    Alaska
    I am new to birds period. We aquired a duck recently, and will be keeping it as a pet! It will be living in the barn with our two Nigerian Dwarf kids.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

I'm glad you decided to join us and congrats on your duck. However, you will need a second one. Ducks are flock animals and yours will be very lonely with no friends and only goats for company. Lone ducks have been known to even stop eating out of depression and starve themselves to death, so I highly recommend you get another one. Is the duckling in your avatar yours? If so try to get another duckling its age to keep it company.

For some care recommendations, your duckling will need a heat source to get under if it gets cold, such as a heat lamp. It will also need to be able to move away from it if it gets too hot. You will want to feed it duck or chick starter feed. You might want to add brewers yeast to the food if using a chick starter because often chick feed does not have enough niacin for ducklings and this leads to all sorts of leg problems. Make sure to have water available at all times. They are very messy with their water, so be prepared for that.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you really want it just as pet - please consider a house pet. Your family can take the place of the flock he misses. Please check out "show us your house ducks," lots of people do this.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Hey @907ak49 I am so happy you joined our roost at BYC! I would like to welcome you with open arms! Yes this site is very helpful for all chicken related things! I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates In my opinion duck eggs are more delicious than chicken eggs. Dont tell any chicken fans on here lol. All the best of luck to you and your flock!
    Justin [​IMG]

6. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey welcome to BYC :D There's an entire section dedicated to ducks (under the 'other poultry' section of the forums), you'll be able to find all the info on keeping ducks that you need. And if not, then just start your own thread - The people here are always willing to help out. Cya around!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by