New duck parent

Sophia_luvbug

Chirping
May 14, 2022
One week ago I bought to Pekin ducklings from tractor supply I know they’re not the most ethical place to buy ducklings. But My mom made me go there because my little sister wanted then know. I’m 15 Years old and the main caretaker of the ducks I’m trying to figure out their age I’m assuming they’re 2 1/2 weeks because I don’t know how old they were when I got them from tractor supply. Would anyone be able to identify how old they are there’s a photo linked also they’re not feathering in as quick as chickens I raised I’ve raised or Button quail they have almost no pinfeathers feathers. Also, my house is like 70°, so I’m winning them off heat. I know they can have treats after two weeks like veggies and fruits with anyone have a good grit recommendation also, when do I start feeding crumbles and start feeding pellets any tips are r Are appreciated. There’s a photo of the ducks With my hand for reference of size and the Bruder linked.

Attachments

• 9720C5FC-FAB1-4234-8035-4B68229FE6CB.jpeg
    9720C5FC-FAB1-4234-8035-4B68229FE6CB.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 228
  • CE5A62DB-3DAF-46D2-9C92-E86545925AF7.jpeg
    CE5A62DB-3DAF-46D2-9C92-E86545925AF7.jpeg
    516.1 KB · Views: 10
Baby fowl ship close after hatch. So let’s say yours were sent on day two to the feed store. How long did they have them from the time you bought them. Ducks don’t sell as quickly as chicks so let’s say a few days up to a week. Then add the time you’ve had them. That will give you an approximate age.

Ducklings don’t need veggies etc until they are older but I do give mealworms. You must provide grit or they won’t be able to digest the food

Baby fowl ship close after hatch. So let’s say yours were sent on day two to the feed store. How long did they have them from the time you bought them. Ducks don’t sell as quickly as chicks so let’s say a few days up to a week. Then add the time you’ve had them. That will give you an approximate age.

Ducklings don’t need veggies etc until they are older but I do give mealworms. You must provide grit or they won’t be able to digest the food
Thank you is there any. Specific grit you would recommend? Also, do you know when I should start feeding pellets instead of crumbles?

I buy scratch and peck chick grit when they are babies - it's extra fine for little ones. Also, pekins need extra niacin beyond what is in their feed. You can start by sprinkling brewers or nutritional yeast on their food, but also it's good to have a bottle of liquid vitamin B complex on hand as a supplement. If their legs ever are in the slightest way starting to look weak this will be the way to supplement them until they strengthen. Since pekins are bred as meat birds they grow really fast and their legs often just don't keep up. Every spring people have trouble with their pekins, so if you try to stay ahead of it with the extra niacin you'll avoid a lot of trouble for you and the babies.

Back
Top Bottom