new duck pen almost done (pics)

lotsachicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 25, 2010
S. Texas
We spent most of last week finishing up the duck pen, they were living in an old dog kennel which was not big enough and got really smelly. The floor of the new duck pen is a french drain and sooo easy to clean with just the hose. There are still a few things to do, mostly just cosmetic though, I'm really happy with it!

58615_imag0141.jpg

58615_imag0143.jpg

58615_imag0142.jpg

58615_imag0137.jpg

58615_imag0136.jpg

58615_imag0135.jpg

The drainage system was the hardest part, mainly because our soil is heavy clay and hard to dig. So we dug down about 3 ft in kind of a v the length of the pen, then placed one of those big (4in I think) pvc pipes that are used for septic tank drain fields, the ones that have the holes in them, in the bottom of the v with holes facing up. then we put a layer of bigish rocks, a layer of smallish rocks, a layer or pea gravel, a thick layer of sand, and then a thick layer of pea gravel on top. the pipe end goes down hill and ends beyond the duck pen in the field. When I let the ducks out in the morning into the run they share with the chickens ( its 50' x50') all I have to do is hose the pen down real good and all the poop and yuck is filtered throug the drain system and comes out pretty clean on the other end where it can water the grass, and viola smell is gone, its nice and clean. The other day just to try it I squirted some dish detergent on the gravel then hosed it down, and you would never know smelly ducks had ever been there.

Looks very nice, but I just have to tell you something funny about the pictures. In the third picture you have these big clamps hanging from a pole. Well, I was scrolling through the pictures, and at first glance I thought those things were snakes. Just the shady parts. It wasn't until I slowed down and study the picture more that I could see the rest of the clamp in the sun. Gosh, I think it's time for bed.

Nice job!

Lucky ducks you have with a nice house like that. I love the last two pics of them - looks like they are checking out the new place.

wow, very nice! Would you mind emailing me or something to explain in very simple terms, lol exactly how you do the drainage system? I have 30 days to do a sand and gravel bottom, and drainage, but have no idea how to start. Thanks!
Dawn
[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom