New duck pond - sanitation questions

fordguy

Chirping
15 Years
Dec 6, 2007
Hi folks..we just dug a new pond about 14 feet diameter and 2 feet deep, and I am worried about e coli and other nasties hurting my ducks, geese and chickens and turkeys. they have lived togher for couple years now with no problems, but this is a much larger body of water that cannot be dumped out every couple days.

Any input?

I highly recommend a drain! I refer to my 2 baby pools as duck toilets. The water has to be changed every day - sometimes twice. Even if you add chemicals to kill germs, there is still SO much duck matter. Heck, mine cannot even drink without slopping like hogs. Here is the larger pool:

88997_smile.jpg

It is possible to put a 2 inch pipe into the pond to use it as a drain, but it would be expensive and take a long time to fill it up. took all day to fill it up the first time.

Is there some minimum size requirement where the critical mass of the water just takes care of itself?

My pond is 12x7x1.5. I have a skippy filter going with it and we just cleaned it this weekend after 2 months. I think if you create a filter as well, it will help it not just be a big stagnant pool of duck poop.

You can get a sump pump from Lowes or other similar store for around $40[depending on the model]. You attach a hose to one end and the other end goes out far away. Plug it in and it will suck out the muck. I would stir it though, they add a TON of mud and poo a ton, so it all gets settled and compacted at the bottom. The pump makes it very easy and fast to do.

Quote:
May I ask how many ducks use it?

2 indian runners
and it also serves as a giant drinking dish for the 3 dogs lol

Quote:
May I ask how many ducks use it?

2 indian runners
and it also serves as a giant drinking dish for the 3 dogs lol

Lol...ok, so no wonder you could go 2 months! I was thinking that you couldn't possibly have as many as me but only 2....
lol.png
I am in amazement at your control! I even started out with 3...lol...and now I will have 25 after butchering
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom