New duck questions! urgent, any tips please!!?

MichikoSaur

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 29, 2011
Texas
Ok so a couple weeks ago we successfully hatched two pekin ducklings still havent properly introduced them to the other two ducks but like 2 days ago our female hatched a few of her one actually hatched her fifth duckling today, so she's a little grumpy but anyways.. I really don't want to continue separating the the older ducklings from the older ducks and new ducklings and their getting too big to be in the dog carrier we keep them in. We've let them out once and the male charges at them I suppose that is normal since you he's 'top duck' and want them to know but should we risk that again, Would the fighting continue?
Please some tips! thanks

so are u saying u want them all together..? How big of an area are they in now? Ive seen ducks all together in large areas (not sure if they have many problems) but u need to put up a barrier in your pen to seperate them... drakes can kill babies... Not in all cases but ?? I put 2 adult ducks in with my other 3 adults and ended up seperating them with a fence to see and hear each other for a couple days to get to know the surroundings and get used to each other alittle, and it was still pretty brutal when I let them all in together..I would NOT trust the drakes around babies. . but they cant stay in a dog crate either.

Last edited:
Drakes can and will kill entire clutches of ducklings if they are so inclined. If he is the only problem, i'd suggest seperating him from everyone else. But you still need to keep a close eye on the other females.

our yard is pretty big around half an acre front yard, and maybe an acre and a half in the backyard and we keep them in a pen at night, right now I just the the older ducks and the ducklings out in the morning, then put them in around 4-5ish then let the other month old ducklings out at that time. Yes I want them to be together I don't want to keep separating them their whole lives what can I do?

I had to end up separating my ducks. Sectioned them off by making divider fences~(Actually I'm getting pretty good at making fences outta a piece of this & a piece of that & another piece of this & a roll of that) Thinkin about going into the fence making business..lol oh sorry back to the duck question....my Rouen drake was always beating up the Golden Cascade drake so separated the Rouen drake & hen then the GC drake & hen. Then had to separate the drakes & hens, when the drakes were trying to breed the Broodie Hens sitting. The Rouen drake also grabbed a 1 day old baby by the head & started to shake it. Now Lucky Ducky(16 weeks old) is out with the Rouen hen they get along good she lets lucky in the dog house by the nest of eggs & she dont mind. Lucky usually beats up the Rouen drake but now since the 2 hens are sitting i put up a new fence in the front yard for them all to get exercise /free range its funny now all the 3 drakes are being a little nicer to each other now.I do have to watch so they dont fight still. ~Julie~

Back
Top Bottom