New duck - wing problems (wet feather/rough wing?)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by beckybose, Mar 11, 2013.

1. beckybose

beckybose New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Hello I wonder if anyone can help?

We have a pair of Indian Runners (drake and duck) - kept as pets in the back garden, free-range. We decided come Spring that we needed to get an additional female so that our existing duck wouldn't be worn out by too much attention and for some extra eggs. In our excitement we didn't really inspect our new apricot Runner properly and on getting her home we realised that she had wings that didn't quite settle on her back - they don't stick right out like angel wing, but don't quite tuck under like our other ducks. She went in the pool with the other two ducks on the second day, got very wet and bedraggled and seemed to struggle to dry herself, constantly adjusted her wings and took herself off under the bushes. We have now brought her in to dry off and are trying to decide what to do.

I've tried to post pics without success but just wanted to ask if anyone has come across this before - will she fix herself after a moult? Will she get better at preening after a few more experiences in the water? Or shall we take her back and not make it our problem? She appeared to be living in good conditions at the breeder.

Anyway - any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks....

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She may have a clogged oil gland, and some treat that by massaging a dab of olive oil into it. See if you can find it on her back just around the base of her tail.

She could have mites, so check for those.

Some flax seed meal in her food might help, too, and I would give her vitamins and apple cider vinegar.

3. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Hopefully someone with experience will be along shortly. You may want to read up on chronic wet feather or has she been bathed previously in something other than plain water?

4. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    I hadn't seen Amiga's post before i posted but she's very helpful

5. beckybose

beckybose New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks so much for replies. She's back outside with the others now and doing really well - looking very healthy and laying lovely pale green eggs. She still has two wing feathers that don't sit flush, but she's preening well and has access to lots of clean water and foraging. So I think after the moult she might be back to normal.

But extraordinarily our other girl has just started laying two eggs a day!! Is this normal??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by