New Duckling Can't Get Up

I hope the little guy makes it. But this is why I never do assisted hatch. Some fowl are just not meant to hatch. And the usually end up suffering and eventually passing. But like I said I'm routing for your little duck. I've broke my own rule on exotic eggs at times so I understand

I know but it's just hard when they have a large hole and looking out. You know they are alive and don't want to see them die. But now I am wondering what in the world I am going to do with him because I can't stand the thought of having to put him down. Especially when he seems so healthy other than that. ugghhh

I know but it's just hard when they have a large hole and looking out. You know they are alive and don't want to see them die. But now I am wondering what in the world I am going to do with him because I can't stand the thought of having to put him down. Especially when he seems so healthy other than that. ugghhh
Best thing you can do now is treat him the best way you can and see if he gets better if you start to see suffering or he's yelping in pain I would put him down humanly

I've got no suggestions on what the cause could be. You might try putting him in some nice warm water and letting him swim. That would help him build muscle and strength without having to carry his own weight. In fact you could put them all in some water. Just make sure you take them out and dry them off as soon as they start to look like they are getting tired. You can do this multiple times a day and slowly increase the amount of time they are in the water.

You can also give him some chopped up hard-boiled egg. They have a lot of good nutrients. It helped one of my quail when it had leg issues. It was also an assisted hatch but it was being raised for meat anyway so I had nothing to lose by helping.

Can you post a picture? Also, does the tail seem to be off to one side? Had a gimpy duck with wry tail with extreme difficulties walking for the first few days who eventually managed it. He lived about a year but he was a severe case.

I have wonderful news! About 4:00pm I went to check on him and took him out, set him down and he took off running. He stumbled a few times because he was in too big of a hurry. But he is running all over the place now just as well as the other ones. I am soooo excited.

Can you post a picture? Also, does the tail seem to be off to one side? Had a gimpy duck with wry tail with extreme difficulties walking for the first few days who eventually managed it. He lived about a year but he was a severe case.
He did. He's up running all over the place. :)

Back
Top Bottom