New Duckling Owner...

I would see if anyone has used sand in a brooder before and see what they say. It is just my opinion that it is not a good idea, but i might be wrong.

I think they're heavy enough that they won't flip over as easy.

I have a big piece of pond liner that I found, and lots of river rocks and flag stones. I am already planning a small duck pond:-D]
A pond is a great idea! Just make sure you are able to clean it out and empty the dirty water regularly. Dirty water can cause disease and sickness.

jenniemig I recommend this link to help you get ready for your ducklings
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Finny has given some good advise.

and as for sand I myself wouldn't use it maybe I am over protective but I would worry about them eating too much and getting impacted, safer to use clean old towels in the bottom of the brooder for a couple of weeks and just change out everyday take out soiled ones shake outside and wash for next clean out, a bit more work for safer for ducklings or use the rubber shelf liner in bottom of brooder and do same as for towels with cleaning. get a thermometer and keep in the brooder digital is best that way you can keep track of temps you don't want to over heat them 90 first week 5* cooler each week there after. Let us know when they arrive and be sure to post pics.

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Finny has given so good advise.

X2 and best of luck! Welcome to the duck forum.
clap.gif

Finny has given some good advise.

and as for sand I myself wouldn't use it maybe I am over protective but I would worry about them eating too much and getting impacted, safer to use clean old towels in the bottom of the brooder for a couple of weeks and just change out everyday take out soiled ones shake outside and wash for next clean out, a bit more work for safer for ducklings or use the rubber shelf liner in bottom of brooder and do same as for towels with cleaning. get a thermometer and keep in the brooder digital is best that way you can keep track of temps you don't want to over heat them 90 first week 5* cooler each week there after. Let us know when they arrive and be sure to post pics.
Thanks for the link, very good information.

I have had my chicks on the sand litter since Saturday and they're healthy so far. They did eat, or at least pecked at it, when I first put them in there. Each evening during pasty butt patrol I am checking them out and don't feel any knots or swelling in the crop area. I have done some research and have found there are some that use the sand as litter with the ducklings, but they cover it the first couple of days until they're eating consistently from the feeder. So far what I've found is that ducklings and chicks will attempt to eat their litter no matter what it is. So, I will keep the sand covered with puppy pads at first, then observe them with the sand. If they're eating it I will cover it back up, or switch to shavings or pellets of some sort. Thanks for all of your advice!

I am planning to use the pond water as irrigation for some of my garden, then add fresh water, and so on. I also have some plants to help with filtration. It'll be a process of trial and error  for sure:)

Sounds like a good plan!

Update...Yesterday I watched the tracking for my ducklings obssesively, with no updates. Last night I was up a few times checking it again, still no updates. This morning as I was getting ready for work I packed up a bag with everything needed to make a comfortable brooder so that I could pick them up and they could stay with me at work. At about noon with no updates I called my post office just to make sure they were on track to be delivered today, which is what their website has listed. The way that it was explained to me is that they were shipped 2 day priority which means that it could take 2-4 days for the to arrive. 2 day express guarantees 2 day delivery. He also said that if they weren't at the post office by now they're not coming today:-( Hoping that they make it
fl.gif

And they shipped on Tuesday? They definitely should come today unless something happened with the shipping. If they do not come today or early tomorrow morning I would directly call the farm you ordered them from. All orders of baby poultry should arrive two days after shipped and early in the morning.

And they shipped on Tuesday? They definitely should come today unless something happened with the shipping. If they do not come today or early tomorrow morning I would directly call the farm you ordered them from. All orders of baby poultry should arrive two days after shipped and early in the morning.
  • The Supervisor I have been speaking with at my local branch said that he has never seen a live animal be shipped anything other than express. He said priority takes 2-4 days, depending on where you live. When I googled priority 2 day mail I found a map on the usps website where you can enter the originating zip code and it will tell you how many days it takes, It listed 2 days. But, from what the Supervisor said they only get drop offs for priority mail in the morning, and all of those packages have been delivered.
  • This is what the website says.
  • Expected Delivery Day: Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Product & Tracking Information

Postal Product:

• Priority Mail 2-Day™
Features:

• $100 insurance included​
  • USPS Tracking™​

DATE & TIME

STATUS OF ITEM

Depart USPS Sort Facility​

SAN JOSE, CA 95101