New Duckling Owner...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jenniemig, Feb 10, 2014.

1. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hey guys, my sister surprised me the other day...she ordered me 4 ducklings, two pekins, and two crested, from Murray McMurray. They shipped today and are supposed to be delivered sometime between Tomorrow (Tuesday) and this Thursday. I have contacted the USPS Supervisor and they are supposed to be watching for them. They have agreed that I can pick them up no matter the hour.

I have 8 (4 or 5 day old) chicks in a brooder now. Right next to the chicks I made an identical brooder for the ducklings. I have sand as the litter and two 20oz soda bottle nipple waterers. My 125W heat light is averaging 90 degrees. I purchased un-medicated chick starter to feed them, and I have extra packets of Save-A-Chick on hand.

Do I need a special kind of feeder?

Do I have to have to watch for pasty butt?

What is the best temps for them?

What about handling them?

Please feel free to offer tips, tricks, or advice!

2. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    First thing i suggest is to make a waterer available for them that is deep enough to dunk their heads under so they can clean their nares out. They are very different from chickens in that they need to be able to do this. I learned this the hard way. My first two ducklings suddenly started sneezing and wheezing and having runny noses and eyes and i was very freaked out and concerned unti someone suggested to get them a deeper watered. That cleared everything up in a matter of days. I use a small plastic container. Make sure it is not too big. You dont want them swimming in it and risk them drowning.

Feeding them unmedicated chick starter feed is the right way to go until they reach 8 weeks old. Then start them on unmedicated grower feed until they reach 16 weeks. After that give them layer feed if they are girls and game bird feed if they are males.
    Good luck and have fun raising ducklings!

1 person likes this.
  3. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Oh and also handling them A LOT when they are young is the best way to make them friendly for when they get older. Treats help too.

For the temperature, keep it around 90 for the first week and gradually lower each week until it reaches room temp or outside temp.

1 person likes this.
  4. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thanks Finny! I have some 4 inch ceramic ramekins that I will use for the beak water:)

5. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Sounds like a great waterer!

6. JJpuck

JJpuck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    That is such a good idea for a waterer! I am definitely going to do that too when I get my ducklings. Thanks!

7. JJpuck

JJpuck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    But is sand the way to go? I had heard that pine shavings are a good bottom layer. Is sand okay for ducklings? (Just wondering)

8. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I think they're heavy enough that they won't flip over as easy.

I have a big piece of pond liner that I found, and lots of river rocks and flag stones. I am already planning a small duck pond:-D

9. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I am hoping to hear from other duck people as to whether the sand is safe for the ducklings. I hope it is because it makes cleaning my brooder with the chicks a lot easier, I bought a reptile popper scooper and it works great.

10. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Honestly I have never heard of people using sand in a brooder, and I am not in the mindset of doing so. My thought is that sand is VERY easy for the duckling to be able to eat, and if this happens it could seriously hurt the ducklings or even kill them. I would stick to pine shavings or straw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by