New Ducklings and Questions

alandra_lee

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
I am new to keeping ducks, and my ducklings arrived yesterday. They are currently residing with a friend who has more experience (and who convinced me to split an order of ducklings with her). Five of the ducklings pictured below are mine. I ordered 2 Runners, 2 Khaki Campbells, and 1 Black Cayuga.

I went to the local feed store today, and the person there attempted to sell me chick feed. From what I read, this will not work well for ducklings, because of their different nutritional requirements (such as Niacin). What sort of feed do you recommend for ducklings? These ducks are being raised to be pets/egg layers - not food.

For the record, I am absolutely smitten with my ducklings.

39423_picture_524.jpg

Adorable!!! What is that one in the top middle, with the yellow breast? Gorgeous!

Chick feed is actually fine for ducklings if you can't get duckling feed (and most stores don't carry duckling feed). Just make sure it is UNmedicated. It will be deficient in niacin. You can add niacin to the duckling water (I don't know the dosage off-hand, but you can google it, or I can post it from Storey's Guide if you want) or top their food with brewer's yeast. Or make sure they get ample forage during the day, if that's possible--lots of greens and insects in their diet will compensate for a great deal.

Good luck with them. They are so much fun.
smile.png

You can use the chick feed. You can also use the medicated feed if the medication in it is Amprolium. Amprolium is safe for ducks to eat. That is what I feed mine (Nutrena naturewise chick started medicated) I emailed Nutrena before feeding them and asked, they replied that it was 100 percent safe but they do carry a gamebird feed that they would recommend also. Since I have chicks this was the best bet for me. My feed store near me carries gamebird feed that I could have bought them. So if you want something besides chick feed call and ask for the gamebird feed.

mine eat non-medicated chick starter. and Mine are pets too. when they get older i feed them laying mesh. I have snowy mallards. Yours are so cute i just love baby ducks...well ok anything baby is cute

Quote:
I think that's the Blue Swedish. That's one of the ones my friend ordered.

Back
Top Bottom