New Ducklings - HELP!!!!

AI0EN

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2023
Hi all,

Very new to this but I’ve checked all the boxes and can’t seem to find an answer so… I’ve turned to you knowledgeable bunch.

Myself and my partner have recently purchased some ducklings both male and 1 Campbell and the other magpie 4 days old to date.

Now they are both chilled out, sleep in our hands, cuddle up to us, eat food of our hands, very confident in my opinion.

Firstly for some odd reason both ducklings love trying to sprint up my stomach and try and lie by my neck is this a dominance thing? They will try and get on my head if I let them but mainly just cuddle against my neck.

I’ve noticed they kind of pur when going to sleep/cuddle in my hand if I listen really closely it’s sounds like they’re grinding teeth if they had them but verrrry faint you have to get right up to them to hear it.

Now the bit I can’t understand is the Campbell is the ring leader in my opinion the magpie follows it everywhere what ever the Campbell does the magpie follows to the point my partner will have the magpie and because I have the Campbell the magpie gets restless and tries to rush over. The bit that’s frustrating is the fact the Campbell keeps chirping, ever since we put them in their broader only the Campbell chirps loud the magpie doesn’t do this, and it doesn’t happen when we’re holding them etc just when we leave them and will happen multiple times throughout the night.

Is this something that will stop? Am I missing something? Is the Campbell in pain? Just can’t figure out what it is.

Finally both ducklings like to nibble my arm fingers now and then not viciously just a few times when sleeping next to it or relaxing. It’s just completely random and I think it’s cute.

Any help would be appreciated and any questions fire away

Cheers all in advance

Clearly they have both imprinted on humans and bonded to you and your partner. So, everything they are doing makes sense if you realize you are momma duck. They run up under your chin because they can’t figure out how to get under your wings. They nibble on you to help you straighten your strange feathers. They call for the two of you to try to keep the flock together and make sure you haven’t left without them. They don’t care that it is in the middle of the night. Keep spending time with them and they will love you both forever, you’re doing great!

Clearly they have both imprinted on humans and bonded to you and your partner. So, everything they are doing makes sense if you realize you are momma duck. They run up under your chin because they can’t figure out how to get under your wings. They nibble on you to help you straighten your strange feathers. They call for the two of you to try to keep the flock together and make sure you haven’t left without them. They don’t care that it is in the middle of the night. Keep spending time with them and they will love you both forever, you’re doing great!
Really appreciate this thank you, I guess all I want at the end of the day is happy duckies. Panic over :D

20210720_205654.jpg

Its not dominance. Little fluffies just feel the warmth from your neck and like to snuggle there as they would under their mother's wing.

Yours may or may not be imprinted on you -- how old were they when you got them? Mine in the photo is a rescue who is bonded very closely with me as I hand raised him from about 3 days old. But he is not imprinted as ducklings imprint within 48 hours of hatching and usually considerably less than 48 hours.

Back
Top Bottom