New Ducklings Not Allowed in Our Neighborhood

Yes if you are going to get ducks, in this situation get Muscovies. They are a good duck and very quiet. They can't quack, they hiss and make a soft chirpy sound. The thing with muscovies is they are great fliers and even like to roost. I sugest keeping at least one wing clipped as adults and put a roost close to the ground for them. I have a small kiddie pool for mine to play in and they are very entertaining.

They come in many different colors, you will want only one male because the males tend to fight. I would suggest one male and maybe 3 females. They get big, so with the neighbor issue I think that would be a good amount for you.

Good luck and PM me if you want to know more about Muscovies. I have raised them for years and will always have them. I have 9 babies,2 adult females, and 1 male right now. lol I'm hoping for another hatch this year.

Julie
jumpy.gif

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you - after a very stressful day of finding out the laws I decided to take the honest Abe route and asked my husband to approach our not so friendly neighbors and let them decide the fate of our ducklings. We told her that we obtained them and wanted to know if she would have a problem with them being in our yard. She said how many? We said 4 and she replied "as long as they don't keep me up at 3AM I am fine with them" We do have one more neighbor to approach but she was our main concern so we have been busy building our coop we figure if our neighbors don't complain the village will not find out. We have built the coop with screws so if it does come down to taking it down we can easily undo it. I will post pics of the coop when it is done. As for the noise we live right by a pond that has many wild ducks, herons, and Egrets I believe that neighbors that live here love nature. As far as us not doing research we always do our research before making a big decision such as a pet, this was an impulsive purchase by my husband and he is in deep regret that he did not do the necessary research. Afterall PineBurrowPeeps no one is perfect the main thing is we are being responsible pet owners and making sure they are safe, well cared for and loved. Looking forward to seeing them grow!!

Thanks everyone for your support and advice. not sure how to post pics on this.

You could build a inside shed coop and add picture window facing your house , but built solid towards the neighbors. You may want to note the wind direction usual for your area--and keep odors down. You may also want to plan how to deal with fly problems if you get them. I use the bedding for plant mulch ,or you may want to compost it.
I am big on having "pet buffers " with neighbors . My horse fence is not on the property line with the side where I have 5 homes I have a 20-50 foot buffer of land and trees. My dog fence is off the back of the house about 30 feet from the neighbors drive because I didn't want them running the fenceline after the cars. I am building my goose/duck aviary the further away from the neighbors I can. Helps to "buffer" trouble -If your animals aren't up next to wacko neighbors property,it is harder for Wackos to harm them. (re: the your dog barks at wacko neighbor alot , wacko neighbor eventually throw them rat poision laced meat)Or the teen has a BB gun and parents aren't home....
I have long skinny property--fortunately the county has "NO" building codes and is rural-- but we do have a street of mobile homes and houses on one side. We do have a couple rental ones, and since I never know who or what will live there-- I wanted the animals where they wouldn't encourage kids and drunk rednecks from messing with them. I also have gradually planted like 50 cypress that grow 4 feet a year. I like to surround my property with trees.
cool.png

This is the only thing I could find for my area (Terre Haute Indiana)

Terre Haute, Indiana

Terre Haute, Indiana City Code updated 2004

ARTICLE 4. ANIMAL REGULATIONS.

Division I. Baby Chicks, Rabbits, Ducklings and Other Fowl Regulations.

Division II. Animal Control Regulations.

Division I. Baby Chicks, Rabbits, Ducklings and Other Fowl Regulations.

Sec. 6-60 Selling and Bartering of Baby Chicks Restricted.

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, or offer for sale, barter, or give away living baby chicks, rabbits, ducklings or other fowl under two (2) months of age in any quantity less than six (6). (Special Ord. No. 5, 1961, § 1, 2-21-61, Journal of Common Council, pp. 24-25)

Sec. 6-61 Artificial Coloring Prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation, to sell, or offer for sale, barter, or give away, or display living baby chicks, rabbits, ducklings, or other fowl which have been dyed, colored, or otherwise treated so as to impart to them an artificial color. (Special Ord. No. 5, 1961, § 2, 2-21-61, Journal of Common Council, pp. 24-25)

Sec. 6-62 Business Not Affected.

This Division shall not be construed to prohibit the sale or display of natural baby chicks, rabbits, ducklings or other fowl in proper brooder facilities by hatcheries or stores engaged in the business of selling them for commercial purposes. (Special Ord. No. 5, 1961, § 3, 2-21-61, Journal of Common Council, pp. 24-25)

Sec. 6-63 Penalties.

Any person, firm, or corporation violating any of the provisions of this Division shall be subject to a fine not exceeding the sum of One Hundred Dollars ($100.00). (Special Ord. No. 5, 1961, § 4, 2-21-61, Journal of Common Council, pp. 24-25)

Sec. 6-64 through Sec. 6-67 Reserved for Future Use.

I used google, and found it on animallaw.info if anyone else was curious about where they live. Good luck
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom