New Ducklings - UPDATE!

That's great, CR!!
1f425.png
1f603.png
1f425.png
Since I acquired Mallard and Saxony ducklings at the same time, I noticed that the 2 sets prefer a slightly different temp due to the difference in their sizes and growth rate so I've found that the ducklings are more comfortable in two different boxes. I'm lucky in that my boyfriend is a skilled carpenter so it was a joy for him to build another wooden box. It must be nice to have Appleyards!! They are so pretty and I've heard they're very calm. I don't know much about Call ducks but they seem like a fascinating breed!!

That's great, CR!!
1f425.png
1f603.png
1f425.png
Since I acquired Mallard and Saxony ducklings at the same time, I noticed that the 2 sets prefer a slightly different temp due to the difference in their sizes and growth rate so I've found that the ducklings are more comfortable in two different boxes. I'm lucky in that my boyfriend is a skilled carpenter so it was a joy for him to build another wooden box. It must be nice to have Appleyards!! They are so pretty and I've heard they're very calm. I don't know much about Call ducks but they seem like a fascinating breed!!

Yeah....I love them all..... I guess its tricky for others to properly heat them?....Maybe I am a Duck?...I thought I was helping?...:(

CR, I think it gets trickier as smaller breeds are kept with larger breeds as hatchlings and the weeks go by. My Saxonies preferred that the heat lamp be turned off all together at a certain point but the Mallards enjoyed the heat lamp at night. We live in a warmer climate so perhaps it is easier to keep them all together in cooler climates. However, we will be keeping our ducklings in our home at night until they are old enough to be outside full time and with a duck house at night for protection from predators and the elements.

CR, I think it gets trickier as smaller breeds are kept with larger breeds as hatchlings and the weeks go by. My Saxonies preferred that the heat lamp be turned off all together at a certain point but the Mallards enjoyed the heat lamp at night. We live in a warmer climate so perhaps it is easier to keep them all together in cooler climates. However, we will be keeping our ducklings in our home at night until they are old enough to be outside full time and with a duck house at night for protection from predators and the elements.

Of course do what works for you ..;)....I only replied...:)

Try some moistened feed maybe half cup with about half tea of ACV mixed into the warm water first. make it moist enough it's like the consistency of corn bread before baking. Maybe if the feed isn't dry it won't get caked.It might clogged too but I really don't like giving dry feed to my flock I make Fermented feed for them.My babies too. She will learn as she sees the others doing the diving under water head washing. She needs special time. I was hoping @dotknott woukld come on since she has nothing but Saxony and lots of ducklings but I haven't seen her on in a while.

Hopefully Metzers can help. Honestly she doesn't look like a sick duckling. She looks alert am i reading her right? @DesertDucks
I have used ACV on everything! Don't know why I didn't remember it for the duckies! I will try that- might be a good healthy treat for everyone. She is alert, she will run from my hand when I go to pick her up, she peeps now when I take her away for her bath also.

I was just reading about your Saxony baby breathing with her mouth open. Could she be overheated? I have found that my Saxony ducklings are much more heat sensitive than those of other breeds. Subsequently they are in their own separate brooder box. They are now a month old and are turned out in a large outdoor arena for several hours a day. Since they are a heavy breed, they tend to pant more. Can you separate the ducklings into 2 different brooder boxes and put only one duckling, such as the Pekin, with your Saxony? This way you could keep the temperature slightly lower for them to avoid panting and mouth breathing.

This was my first thought actually a few days ago! But I wasn't sure if I was being crazy? She is bigger than the other ones, actually she is the biggest of all 5 and the Pekin is just now catching up and they were all hatched at the same time. They are able to escape the heat (I think) but the way I created my brooder I made it with expandable panels (so I can give them more room before they are outside full time). I added 5in to the wall yesterday but maybe when I get home I will expand the wall out again to give her more room away from the lamp.
Are they heat sensitive as adults too? We get pretty hot temps here 90s and into the low 100s. Her duck run has a lot of shade and I am building a 6ft pond, do you think that will be ok?

UPDATE:
She was again panting and one nostril was clear and one was clogged this morning. I have her the bath in warm water and q-tip. I could see that something was trying to get out of the nose. I tried to get her to blow is out but she hasn't got that worked out yet. I used the baby nasal bulb and after a few tries it sucked out (pretty sure it was a crumb of feed). After that she actually started swimming and really perked up. Went to check at lunch and she was doing better. It actually took me a moment to figure out which one she was because she didn't stand out like a sore thumb anymore.

I think that we cleared a hurdle and I really appreciate everyone's advice! When I checked at lunch they were at 83F and they were all eating or drinking.

Yes, CR, raising ducklings as companions is truly a terrific learning experience for me and my family. It's interesting to see how duck owners have different approaches to duck rearing that work for them. I truly hope DesertDucks can get to the bottom of her baby Saxony's open mouth breathing. I bet Metzer Farms can offer some great input into this as well.

That's good news, DesertDucks!! Yes, my Saxonies are only one month old now but they seem to be able to weather a nice breeze and enjoy staying outside longer than do the Mallards, who want to go back to their brooder box in our house by a certain time in the late afternoon. The Saxonies clearly do not enjoy the heat. If you're in a warm climate, once your Saxony is older and outside, would a fan attached to a shelter be an idea? Metzer would know better than I would about that. I'm really glad your beloved and adorable Cleo is doing better!!
1f33b.png
1f425.png

I just got off the phone with Metzer they didn't know anything about them being more heat sensitive. They were very nice but didn't have anything more to add.

I think in general there isn't really a right or wrong way to do things because it depends on so many variables. I agree my daughter and I are really enjoying learning and taking care of the baby ducks. Not sure she will remember it, she is pretty young but its something else we can enjoy together!

A fan for the ducks my DH would think I am nuts for sure!
lau.gif

I have used ACV on everything! Don't know why I didn't remember it for the duckies! I will try that- might be a good healthy treat for everyone. She is alert, she will run from my hand when I go to pick her up, she peeps now when I take her away for her bath also.

This was my first thought actually a few days ago! But I wasn't sure if I was being crazy? She is bigger than the other ones, actually she is the biggest of all 5 and the Pekin is just now catching up and they were all hatched at the same time. They are able to escape the heat (I think) but the way I created my brooder I made it with expandable panels (so I can give them more room before they are outside full time). I added 5in to the wall yesterday but maybe when I get home I will expand the wall out again to give her more room away from the lamp.
Are they heat sensitive as adults too? We get pretty hot temps here 90s and into the low 100s. Her duck run has a lot of shade and I am building a 6ft pond, do you think that will be ok?

UPDATE:
She was again panting and one nostril was clear and one was clogged this morning. I have her the bath in warm water and q-tip. I could see that something was trying to get out of the nose. I tried to get her to blow is out but she hasn't got that worked out yet. I used the baby nasal bulb and after a few tries it sucked out (pretty sure it was a crumb of feed). After that she actually started swimming and really perked up. Went to check at lunch and she was doing better. It actually took me a moment to figure out which one she was because she didn't stand out like a sore thumb anymore.

I think that we cleared a hurdle and I really appreciate everyone's advice! When I checked at lunch they were at 83F and they were all eating or drinking.
Great news!! hope it continues!!

As long as everyone has shade and water to cool off in they should all be fine. Saturday we were at 86 and my 2 Buff females were panting that is how they cool off they don't have sweat glands.

Back
Top Bottom