New Ducklings - UPDATE!

DesertDucks

Chirping
Apr 29, 2017
My new order of baby ducks came in Wednesday morning! I have had chickens/ ducks/ turkeys before but not for a few years so I am re-learning what I am doing with them.

I wanted a color mixed flock so I have one of each: Saxony, Pekin, Buff, Silver Appleyard and Welsh Harlequin.

Four out of the five ducks are doing fine (I think). The Saxony has me concerned. She is eating and drinking and pooping but she is "off" compared to the others. Her breathing appears to be much more rapid and she holds her wings out from her body, which the others don't do. She opens and closes her bill a lot and I doesn't "peep" as much as the other ones. She is the largest so far. I began to notice this on Wednesday afternoon (today is Friday). So "symptoms" occurred only a few hours after arrival. Also she walks ok (so far) and doesn't seem to be lethargic or anything.

When I offered a dish of water the others dunked their heads and blew bubbles etc. She just barely dipped her bill in to drink. The others wanted to climb in and go for a swim but she isn't keen on water it seems like and avoided the whole situation.

Like I said she isn't obviously sick but she is "off" from the other ones. My DH says she is fine and I am overreacting (this is admittedly a possibly) but I don't want her to suffer from my own negligence. He thinks she is a different breed and therefor acts different.

About my set up: When I got the ducklings home I had a heated brooder ready. I used a galvanized stock tank (in the garage) lined with towels. I had probiotic/ electrolyte water for them. I offered only water for about 1.5hrs and then introduced food. The temp was at 90-93 but I turned it down to 88-91 because they were all trying to escape the lamp. This group didn't seem to like it too hot. I am feeding an unmedicated chick starter (it is what they had at the feed store). I also have been adding vitamin to their water every other day as directed on the packaging and this vitamin does include nician.

I am thinking of offering a few inches of warm water in the tub tomorrow to encourage her to get her head and bill wet? She is only 6 days old so I know that is young for swimming?

Anyway any advice is appreciated. I know it sounds really silly to say her symptoms are "holds her wings out more and breathes faster" but it just feels off and if I can catch something early I would like to.

Last edited:
That's great, CR!!
1f425.png
1f603.png
1f425.png
Since I acquired Mallard and Saxony ducklings at the same time, I noticed that the 2 sets prefer a slightly different temp due to the difference in their sizes and growth rate so I've found that the ducklings are more comfortable in two different boxes. I'm lucky in that my boyfriend is a skilled carpenter so it was a joy for him to build another wooden box. It must be nice to have Appleyards!! They are so pretty and I've heard they're very calm. I don't know much about Call ducks but they seem like a fascinating breed!!

CR, I think it gets trickier as smaller breeds are kept with larger breeds as hatchlings and the weeks go by. My Saxonies preferred that the heat lamp be turned off all together at a certain point but the Mallards enjoyed the heat lamp at night. We live in a warmer climate so perhaps it is easier to keep them all together in cooler climates. However, we will be keeping our ducklings in our home at night until they are old enough to be outside full time and with a duck house at night for protection from predators and the elements.

I just got off the phone with Metzer they didn't know anything about them being more heat sensitive. They were very nice but didn't have anything more to add.

I think in general there isn't really a right or wrong way to do things because it depends on so many variables. I agree my daughter and I are really enjoying learning and taking care of the baby ducks. Not sure she will remember it, she is pretty young but its something else we can enjoy together!

A fan for the ducks my DH would think I am nuts for sure!
lau.gif
I use a fan in both my duck and duck/chicken coop. and my dh does think I am nuts but it gets hot in there in summer and I have ALOT windows in my houses. Chickens especially are heat sensitive. Most important to have really good ventilation in our ducks/poultry coops.

@DesertDucks for one ducklings don't really like it that warm, 85 is fine to start with then drop the temp each week 5* till they are at normal outside or inside temps.

If you have Poultry Nurti Drench you can give her tiny drops right into her bill to give her a needed boost and this can also be put into their water.

Go ahead and let them have some tub time in nice warm water, start with water just up to tops of their legs then increase dept as they get use to it being deeper. They will have a blast. make sure to always stay by and then pat dry and back into warm brooder.

Since you using chick feed I'd also add some Nutritional yeast at 1 tab per cup of feed daily for 10 weeks or plain niacin added to their feed or drinking water 125-150 mgs to 1 gal of drinking water for 10 weeks . emphasis on Plain.

I'll get you more info and your ducklings are just adorable great pics. your lil WH looks very healthy.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I will take the temp down a few deg. The paperwork they came with said 90 so I wasn't going to second guess it but a lot of what I read online said that ducks/geese don't like to be overheated too, so I felt conflicted. Our temps are normally in the high 70s low 80s this time of year but we had an unexpected cold snap this week and it dropped to 30 last night which is WAY out side the norm.

Any reason why plain Niacin is better than a multi vitamin? Is it because of overdosing?

Also when can I give them some greens from the yard? I thought it would be nice to pick a few weeds and chop them up? I have some grit I can sprinkle in their pen as well.
No reason they can't have some greens as long as you sprinkle grit. You can even bring in the greens with the dirt if you don't mind a messy brooder. lol

Water fowl need any where from 125-150 megs of niacin a day to have strong legs and neurological heath, so when I said plain niacin I meant not flush free or time released. Just plain old niacin or nutritional yeast. Check what your giving them to see what the niacin level is. 90 is chick temps I have never had my duckling or gosling at 90* always started them off at 85 as long as they are out of drafts they are good at that temp.

I find that our pet Mallard ducklings behave far more instinctively and reactively than do the Saxonies. The Saxonies remind me of fuzzy stuffed animals that come to life in a storybook. The Saxony breed seems to be an extremely docile and sedentary one.

I was just reading about your Saxony baby breathing with her mouth open. Could she be overheated? I have found that my Saxony ducklings are much more heat sensitive than those of other breeds. Subsequently they are in their own separate brooder box. They are now a month old and are turned out in a large outdoor arena for several hours a day. Since they are a heavy breed, they tend to pant more. Can you separate the ducklings into 2 different brooder boxes and put only one duckling, such as the Pekin, with your Saxony? This way you could keep the temperature slightly lower for them to avoid panting and mouth breathing.

That's great, CR!!
1f425.png
1f603.png
1f425.png
Since I acquired Mallard and Saxony ducklings at the same time, I noticed that the 2 sets prefer a slightly different temp due to the difference in their sizes and growth rate so I've found that the ducklings are more comfortable in two different boxes. I'm lucky in that my boyfriend is a skilled carpenter so it was a joy for him to build another wooden box. It must be nice to have Appleyards!! They are so pretty and I've heard they're very calm. I don't know much about Call ducks but they seem like a fascinating breed!!

Yeah....I love them all..... I guess its tricky for others to properly heat them?....Maybe I am a Duck?...I thought I was helping?...:(

Back
Top Bottom