New Ducklings

QuakieChan

Chirping
Feb 3, 2018
Hello everyone,
I recently just got 2 new baby ducklings. I already own 2 mallards that are each 3 months and 2 months old. These new ducklings I have seem a bit jumpier than my previous ones. I'm worried if they will imprint on me or not. I try to spend as much time with them as I can. It's only been 2 days so its hasn't been that long since we've gotten them. Any ideas on building a closer relationship with them? Or will they gradually imprint as time goes by? Thank you!

If you are the one who gives them peas and kale and tomatoes and whatever else you give your guys, they will be super friendly to yo and push and shove to get to you. Pro tip--if you greet them with "Hey ducks!" whenever you show up with treats, they will learn to come running when they hear you say "Hey ducks!" (any phrase will help, but "HEY DUCKS!" answered with a honking stampede of ducks has never failed to make me laugh.)

Also, they will never, ever, ever be as cuddly and lovey and hand-friendly as adults as they are right now. Make sure to absolutely treasure all the time you have to play Two Duck Lap with them while you've got it, because it only lasts a little while until they're teenage ducks who want to find themselves, and then adult ducks who have their own lives and jobs and hobbies (which is mostly eating and humping and yelling) and don't want to play Two Duck Lap with you anymore.

Hello everyone,
I recently just got 2 new baby ducklings. I already own 2 mallards that are each 3 months and 2 months old. These new ducklings I have seem a bit jumpier than my previous ones. I'm worried if they will imprint on me or not. I try to spend as much time with them as I can. It's only been 2 days so its hasn't been that long since we've gotten them. Any ideas on building a closer relationship with them? Or will they gradually imprint as time goes by? Thank you!
ducky fever farmer connie.jpg

Haha thanks for the great reply! I'm also taking pictures of them everyday to chronicle their first year and spend lots of time giving them hand fed treats. Hopefully they will warm up to me soon!

Back
Top Bottom