new ducklings!

ALYSSAandBLAKE

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 18, 2013
Philly, PA
we recently just got our first pair of ducklings! both are boys, one a Pekin the other a black Swedish. obviously we are a little new to this, but so far everything seems to be okay, they are healthy and energized little ones! I do have one minor concern however, the black Swedish (his name is Beanie) has started to become somewhat of a biter, and I just want to be able to stop it at a young age so we don't have any problems in the future. when he is being pet, he tends to sneak around to try and bite you, occasionally he will bite a little bit at his brother too (his name is Franklin).. so if anyone has any suggestions, all would be appreciated! thanks!

we recently just got our first pair of ducklings! both are boys, one a Pekin the other a black Swedish. obviously we are a little new to this, but so far everything seems to be okay, they are healthy and energized little ones! I do have one minor concern however, the black Swedish (his name is Beanie) has started to become somewhat of a biter, and I just want to be able to stop it at a young age so we don't have any problems in the future. when he is being pet, he tends to sneak around to try and bite you, occasionally he will bite a little bit at his brother too (his name is Franklin).. so if anyone has any suggestions, all would be appreciated! thanks!
Biting is a natural thing to ducklings that's how they feel having no hands. but they can get bity too so best thing to do is not get your hands around his face, just like with a puppy you don't want biting you keep your hands away from their faces. and drakes are notorious for forgetting where their place is in the family tree, you the leader ducks next unless you have children and dogs then they come after you and ducks come in last,. Being so small it's hard to discipline them with out possibly hurting them so time out and keep hands away from bill is about it, it's a good idea to interact with your ducklings to get them use to you but the more familiar they get with you the more confused they are with where they fit. especially drakes, I have 4 and even though I love them dearly I don't pick them up unless necessary. They like to be in the same area as we are and they will eat out of our hands but holding them even when ducklings is just something I don't do. Having had a lone duckling to raise when it's mama refused him was a sweet time until he became about 5-6 months of age, then he decide I was one of his girls and he would attack me just like they do ducks trying to climb onto me for mating, it took quite a bit of work to break him and get him to realize I wasn't part of his harem [he had 3 girls of his own] that picking him up and petting on him was out of the question, he is now and awesome drake 2 yrs later and still likes to be near me but I learned that holding petting and cuddling wasn't a good thing. and biting on each other is normal they will work out a pecking order with one being the leader the other his side kick.
welcome-byc.gif

I greatly appreciate your input miss Lydia, it is just so hard not to cuddle my babies! We love them so much and we're just so attached to them already'!
love.gif

I greatly appreciate your input miss Lydia, it is just so hard not to cuddle my babies! We love them so much and we're just so attached to them already'!
love.gif
I know they are just so precious when tiny. I'd let them have the choice, sit on the floor and let them come to you if they climb in your lap great if not that's their choice too,. When feeding them a treat put it into an open hand where they are eating out of your hand and not going after the fingers. [make sure before feeding anything other than their crumble they have grit to go with it.] Now that Opie my drake who went through the terrible 2's knows where his place is in our flock and family I can pet him and pick him up and snuggle him. But it's only if he is being nice if he starts biting then I put him down and walk away.

yes I agree with miss Lydia biting is a natural thing for ducklings especially if you are trying to imprint them which I don't know if you are but usually its just because they like you and their little friends by the way they are very cute. - Jay in MA

thank you both for your replies! Both greatly appreciated!
Miss Lydia, we have been feeding them small amounts of dark lettuce, ripped up into very small pieces, is that still okay without grit? I didn't see why it wouldn't be..
And the bird man, yes we are trying to get them to imprint, but not super attached because we both have regular jobs.. Do you suggest anything in particular to get them to imprint a little bit? They're less than two weeks old.
Thanks guys!

the lettuce is actually very good for all birds I try to pick up some from the local grocery store as often as possible but if your feeding them lettuce feed them the grit also a balanced diet is great and to get them imprinted the only thing you can really do is hang out with them as much as possible and spoil them. seems like your already doing all of the above great work with your new ducklings also good luck have fun!
thumbsup.gif
- Jay in MA

the lettuce is actually very good for all birds I try to pick up some from the local grocery store as often as possible but if your feeding them lettuce feed them the grit also a balanced diet is great and to get them imprinted the only thing you can really do is hang out with them as much as possible and spoil them. seems like your already doing all of the above great work with your new ducklings also good luck have fun!
thumbsup.gif
- Jay in MA
thanks so much great feedback! all help is very appreciated!
big_smile.png

there was one thing we were concerned about last night, for a short period of time Beanie (the black Swedish) was breathing sorta funny, we could hear him breathing in like it sounded as if one was congested. no open mouth panting and otherwise acting totally normal. that stopped by the time we all woke up this morning and hasn't had that funny breathing sound since. should we still be concerned?

Back
Top Bottom