New Ducks Need advice!!!

When they are feathered, and warm outside, not breezy (they dont have the oils to protect them since they have no duck mom) the oils will come later, so avoid the water hole til they get the waterproofing oils, BUT get a 6 foot plastic kiddie pool, $12bucks at KMART, they will love it!!! And they will be having a blast outside. And yes they grow quickly, and did I mention the pounds and pounds of used duck feed? I had `12 peking ducklings in my garage, and it has been a while but I still have plaster stuck on the floor. Over a year ago... Pekings arent the smartest animals either so you have to keep watch over them. Had one walk into a pipe and STOP, it was open at both ends but it panic'd. HAVE FUN remember they are outside animals, not house pets. They require sunlight wind and grass. bugs, and water...

Quote:
Thanks tomorrow after it is suppose to be 73 degrees and partly cloudy so I am going to take them in the yard and let them roam in the fence area under my supervision.

Ducks are so cute I love having ducks I am thinking so much of giving up my chickens for ducks only. I hope ya enjoy them pekins grow fast too and they are such fatty waddle butts
smile.png

Last edited:
So when I got to bed do I just leave the heat lamp on? Will they sleep with that on? I don't have a problem with the light being on.

Ducks don't sleep at night. They are like cats busy and napping in between day and night. They will eat, drink, and poo as much at night as in the day. They sometimes also make a fuzz in the brooder, because they get bored out of their mind. I gave cat toys to my ducks. The little ball type ones, since you can wash them. They do need the heat lamp day and night! I use a regular light bulb which I reduce on a regular basis. You will notice when they wont lay under the lamp, then it is time to reduce the wattage.
Katharina

Quote:
I 2nd all of Katarina's advice.
I wanted to add though that if you are worried about the light or if it happens to bother the ducklings or you, you can use a red or blue bulb that would be easier on the eyes but still provide a little light and enough warmth. GL with your duckies! I'm still learning too. Mine are 4wks now and are outdoor all day already (and loving it) and locked up at night with brooder. Some days their time outside is cut short if it's really wet or cold though.

Quote:
Their oil glands will produce faster, if they are exposed to water. My duckies are swimming since day 2. In a paint tray and in the bath room. I towel dry them and put them back under the brooder. They will work their feather and go for the gland, which will get stimulated and will start produce faster that way. I would not let them swim outdoors yet. That has to wait until they are at least 3 weeks old.

Katharina

5 minutes worth of swimming? I let mine swim for a good 15 minutes their first week and at least 1/2 an hour by the 2nd wk. They are 16 dyas now and get really, really mad if I take them out of the tub before a full hour is up. I chop up spinach and throw it in as floaty snacks. They love it. THey are ducks, let them swim, just keep a careful eye on them since they are not water proof yet.

I don't really time them and read a magazine sitting next to them. My guess was 5 minutes, but I did increase the time as they've got older. You can tell when they had enough, because they just sit there in the water not doing much. Or they hop out and sit next to it.
Katharina

Back
Top Bottom