New Ducks No Fethers

K5MOB

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2019
Bayou L'Ourse Louisiana
So we got two ducks from TractorSupply about 4 weeks ago.. They have been inside in large dog pin about 3ftx2ft. In the past week they have started loosing there feathers, at first i thought it was because they were about to lose the chick down and start to get feathers but now I am not so sure. When I got home today their back is mostly bald! We don't see any mites on them.

What else could make them go bald?

Bald-Ducks.jpg

Sometimes big breed birds grow faster than their feathering.

Otherwise, that's likely not really enough room unless they're outside all day, at this age they are ready for grass and exercise. I'd be careful about feeding them too high a protein feed as they are a bit prone to leg issues.

That's weird, tho I don't know ducks.
I would think feathers would be coming simultaneously with down falling off.

What brand and protein percentage is the feed?

All flock is better yes. I think grass starts to become a real necessity too. Assuming your lawns not treated you could dig a sod chuck daily for them to pick at, good boredom fixer too in case that's from picking each other.

We feed them all flock from TractorSupply, the girl said its better than the chick feed for ducks..

We have not started letting the out yet but we can start.. This is our first duck adventure..

That's weird, tho I don't know ducks.
I would think feathers would be coming simultaneously with down falling off.

What brand and protein percentage is the feed?

Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles provide optimum nutrition for healthy mixed poultry flocks. Formulated with prebiotics and probiotics to support optimum digestive health and immune function. This is a versatile 20%-protein nutrient-rich ration that provides nutrition for the following situations:

1) The small crumbled format makes this feed perfect for starting baby birds

2) Feeding a mixed flock that may include hens and roosters, turkeys, pheasants, guinea fowl and peafowl. Be sure to offer supplemental Purina Oyster Shell to laying birds.

3) Help laying hens through molt or in times when feathering needs some extra support.

4) Feeding male birds. Layer feed has too much calcium for them and should not be fed to male birds.

5) Growing and finishing birds intended for meat production.

• Prebiotics and Probiotics - supports immune and digestive health
  • Complete and Balanced - wholesome nutrition for an entire mixed flock of poultry consistent nutrition for starting and growing chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese (turkeys after 8-10 weeks) all with the same bag of feed
  • Essential Amino Acids - excellent muscle and skeletal development. Enhanced with lysine and methionine to give birds the healthy nutrients they need for healthy growth
  • Key Level of Vitamin A - strong Vitamin A fortification helps birds grow into healthy adult birds
  • Proprietary Level of Vitamin E - a superior level of Vitamin E helps birds maintain a robust immune system
  • Superior Nutrition - superior nutrition for a strong start, uniform growth and excellent vigor
  • Wholesome Nutrition - assurance of quality Its nutrition you can trust our guarantee that this is the very best feed for your poultry

All flock is better yes. I think grass starts to become a real necessity too. Assuming your lawns not treated you could dig a sod chuck daily for them to pick at, good boredom fixer too in case that's from picking each other.

The lawn is not treated, We also have goats and chickens outside.. We will just let them out in the yard starting tomorrow.. I need to build a tractor for them and they can stay outdoors after they have a house..

Back
Top Bottom