New ducks won't accept my older duck?

xoxKristinexoxo

Hatching
7 Years
May 1, 2012
I got a {male}Peking duck and a {female}Mallard duck last year for my birthday, unfortunately our very outgoing & loving Peking duck was killed by an owl and the poor Mallard was left all by herself.
The Mallard wasn't too friendly towards people before the Peking was killed and always kept her distance, trailing behind the Peking.
Anyway she became a lot more friendly after the Peking died and we got some ducklings to keep her company, but they don't like her! {We had tried to get the duckings to imprint on her but she didnt want to be near them-and kept running away}
They are fully grown now and try to attack her when ever she gets near them. I've been thinking about keeping the lone Mallard as an indoor pet. I've seen a change in the Mallard too. Lately shes been staying in her little box, just nesting all day. {she isnt kept with the other ducks-for fear they might harm her.} She used to always be out in the yard chasing bugs to eat but the past week she has barely come out of her box. The few times she has come out has been when I made her get up and eat/drink. I'm scared maybe shes sick or lonely.

Is there anyway to get the new ducks to accept her? Or should I just keep her as an indoor pet? Any other tips on how to handle this situation?

***Thanks in advance!

welcome-byc.gif

My instinct regarding her sitting on her nest is, that she is going broody. Is she still laying eggs?

As for the integration process, there will always be the pecking order to be sorted out and sometimes you just have to let them get on with each. Each time you intervene, it goes back to square one. Keeping her seperate is keeping the integration period ever more extended.

What sex have the ducklings grown up to be? What breed are they? How old are they?

I would keep them separate from her until they are older. As long as SHE didn't have the problem with them, it's most likely that they were just afraid of her, lol.

Back
Top Bottom