New ducks

Mknear

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Arab, AL
Our neighbors are moving out of state, and we are adopting their adult ducks. They already spend half the day lounging in our yard and chase us in the yard for birdseed or blueberries if I'm outside, so we are already associated with food. I'm hoping for an easy-ish transition since they know us. They also will be coming with their current night-time kennel, so will have their home that they are used to for bedtime. I have a pool ready to set up for them, that has a bottom drain to make it easier to clean out regularly, and their pond is right next door (hopefully whoever buys the house will be understanding that the ducks enjoy the pond).

Do ducks, like other animals, have any type of "transition period" if I can't find their normal food and have to go with something else? I would never let it get to the point where it runs out completely, so could mix old and new in the beginning if needed. I've looked online but haven't really seen anything saying what to do if transitioning duck food.

I need to find somewhere close by that we could adopt a couple of adult females. There are 4 males, from what I can tell by the tails, and 3 females. One female is harassed by the amorous males on a routine basis, so I think a few more females in the mix will be necessary to balance things out. The ducks are different breeds already - Pekin, Mallard, Cayuga, and I think Swedish. Are there any particular breeds that should not be together? I'm assuming there needs to be an introduction period, vs. just putting them all together at once.

Our neighbors are moving out of state, and we are adopting their adult ducks. They already spend half the day lounging in our yard and chase us in the yard for birdseed or blueberries if I'm outside, so we are already associated with food. I'm hoping for an easy-ish transition since they know us. They also will be coming with their current night-time kennel, so will have their home that they are used to for bedtime. I have a pool ready to set up for them, that has a bottom drain to make it easier to clean out regularly, and their pond is right next door (hopefully whoever buys the house will be understanding that the ducks enjoy the pond).

Do ducks, like other animals, have any type of "transition period" if I can't find their normal food and have to go with something else? I would never let it get to the point where it runs out completely, so could mix old and new in the beginning if needed. I've looked online but haven't really seen anything saying what to do if transitioning duck food.

I need to find somewhere close by that we could adopt a couple of adult females. There are 4 males, from what I can tell by the tails, and 3 females. One female is harassed by the amorous males on a routine basis, so I think a few more females in the mix will be necessary to balance things out. The ducks are different breeds already - Pekin, Mallard, Cayuga, and I think Swedish. Are there any particular breeds that should not be together? I'm assuming there needs to be an introduction period, vs. just putting them all together at once.
Ducks can be extremely picky when given a new feed. If you end up having to switch to something else, I would definitely mix the two at first. It might take them a while to get used to the new. I think all breeds get along well together, though if the drakes are large breeds and the hens are small breeds the hens may get some rougher than normal treatment when mating. That happened to me with Khaki Campbell hens and a Saxony drake.

Back
Top Bottom