New EE owner in Vegas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OneNuttyMama, Feb 27, 2014.

1. OneNuttyMama

OneNuttyMama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    My husband has always wanted chickens from the time he was a young boy scout, but his parents always refused. After many years of parrot ownership he talked me into chickens. We recently took the leap into chicken ownership. It's only been 1 day and we are all in love with these busy ladies. Even our Chiweinie will sit on the lawn chair and just watch them as they go about their business.
    [​IMG]

We got 4 Easter Egger Pullets from McMurray Hatchery. The fragile baby chicks still intimidated me so we started with fully vaccinated 18-22 weekers. After a delay in shipping thanks to the post office. (arrived a day late with no reason why) Our 4 chickens arrived with eggs in thier box! Of the 4 chickens 3 laid eggs. 1 managed to lay 2 eggs but it broke in shipping. (she was the crankiest and didn't want out of the box)
    They were pretty dehydrated when they arrived(looking woozy on their feet no real twitchy chicken head movement..not normal chicken behaviors) so luckily we had purchased the Electrolyte powder Quik Chik to put in the water. Within less than an hour they had bounced back and happily were digging away and exploring the new coop/run
    [​IMG]
    Here's 3 of the surviving eggs. The ipad did a horrible job showing colors. In light outside the green looks like bright spring green.
    I was shocked there were eggs in the box, because I thought we would have about a month before ever getting our first egg.

I am very grateful for Backyard Chickens forum. My husband made a watering system watering system for them after seeing someone else's set up on here. It works great can't wait to implement more awesome ideas I've found on here. Sadly since we currently live in Las Vegas we are required to keep them in a coop/run at all times as well as no rooster allowed. Next improvement.. Larger run.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] from Washington state glad you joined us!

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have your family joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Enjoy them EE's ......

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Enjoy your new babies and eggs!

And welcome to BYC!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on your new girls and all the eggs!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Don't be surprised if your hens take a break from laying. Chickens hate change, and moving to their new home may put them off of laying for a while.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The eggs laid in the shipping box were in development before they traveled. So the change in scenery and everything else may throw them off the laying game for a bit. Sounds like they are enjoying their new home.

8. OneNuttyMama

OneNuttyMama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2013
    They didn't lay any eggs the first full day they were here. Then today we got two new eggs. Another green and a brown.
    They love the sprouted wheat berries for a treat. (Another backyard chicken tip) lucky for me bountiful baskets offered the wheat berries the week before we got our chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by