New egg from MI! :D

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fowl_love, Jul 21, 2011.

1. fowl_love

fowl_love New Egg

Jul 20, 2011
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the bird raising community, but have worked with a varied number of bird species in my past!

I am currently starting as a Master's student and will be researching migratory behavior/restlessness of Blue-winged Teal in captivity. With eggs collected from the wild, I have 14 teals that have hatched (8 in the pre-juvenile stage and 6 hatched a few days ago) and 13 in the incubator, close to their hatch date! [​IMG] I will be using cameras and infrared sensors to constantly record their behavior once they are a little older and closer to the time of migration. I am looking forward to being a "duck mother" or so to speak! [​IMG]

I have been interested in working with birds and studying their behavior for quite sometime! I have worked with Zebra Finches in labs, Magellanic Penguins at a local zoo, rehabilitated native songbirds, exotic and native gamebirds (from the Reeves Pheasant and beyond to the Northern Bobwhite and Ruffed Grouse), captive Trumpeter Swans and Australian Black Swans, and native raptors (Red-tailed Hawks, Great Horned Owls, Eastern Screech-Owl, Barred Owl, and Barn Owl). I went to Antarctica for my study abroad and was able to check off many life list birds and witness different species of albatross, petrels, and of course, 6 different species of penguins (Adelie penguins being my all time favorite bird species). [​IMG]

But even with all prior bird experience/knowledge, I am new to rearing/raising ducks from the egg! [​IMG] So I am very excited for this opportunity and fortunate to have books and forums like this to help! I look forward to seeing and talking with other bird obsessed individuals on the boards!

Thanks for reading!

~ Jessica [​IMG]

2. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

3. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. GeeJay

GeeJay Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Horton, MI
    Welcome! I am a newbie to chickens, but this is a great resource! There is a thread for others here in Michigan...thought you might like to know!

Good luck with your Duckies!

5. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    WELCOME! [​IMG]

6. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:WOW! Awesome! It sounds like you may have QUITE a bit of helpful information to offer here at BYC! Welcome welcome welcome! [​IMG] I do hope you can find help in areas of "not so expertise" while you're here!

[​IMG]

7. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    [​IMG]

Hi from Ga. Welcome aboard.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Lots of good luck with them & I hope your research goes well [​IMG]

10. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Wow! Bird expert! Now, if my girls only knew they are birds.... they think they are big game cricket safari hunters!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by