New egg layer questions...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amgreen1980, Sep 10, 2011.

1. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    Wednesday evening I found my NHR in the coop laying in the corner. When I went to her, she stood up and there was a cold egg under her breast and she stood up farther and a VERY fresh, hot sticky egg under her. I assume she had layed one Tuesday ( her first) and then one Wednesday. Nothing Thursday, and then yesterday I found a BIG egg. The first 2 were pretty small, typical I guess for a first egg. The third one was as big as a store bought large egg. SO, today, she lays another ( we watched her do it) and it was small again. Is this possible? Could the large one not be hers? We don't have any others laying, unless one is and we don't know about it. I am confused. Here is a picture of the 4 eggs....

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They do all sorts of odd things when they start laying. Yes, she could lay a large then a small egg. It should all settle down in a few weeks. I had a yolkless tiny egg from a new layer a few weeks ago, for example.

Even then, you might get an odd egg now and then. I find a soft shelled egg every few months, as well as a rough shelled one (calcium deposits.) And I get a double yolker now and then, about 2 or 3 a year.

3. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    Thank you flockwatcher! We were quite confused to get a large egg yesterday and then a small one today! Regardless of size though, it is SOOO exciting to be getting eggs! [​IMG] I wrote on facebook, that I was as proud of my chickens as I was of my kids when they took their first steps! LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by