New egg layer...soft shells

erinkate

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 22, 2009
salt lake city, ut
My 4 1/2 month old Plymoth Rock started laying 5 days ago. Her first egg was small but hard-shelled. Her second was almost regular sized and hard shelled. The last three have been soft-shelled and de-formed. At what point do I worry and adjust her diet or research other health issues...or is this normal?

Thanks!

Those kinds of eggs happen often with newly laying hens. One thing you can do is put out a container of crushed oyster shells for the girls, which will supply them some extra calcium to promote strong eggshells.

It's nothing to worry about....I call those eggs practice eggs!

smile.png

Sometimes my young (5 months) hens will lay 'faux eggs' during the night. It's like everything but the shell. The first time it happened, the rubbery outer part looked like a condom, and it totally freaked me out!! It didn't have a yolk. The next time it happened, there was a yolk, so then I knew what it was. WHEW! I was so worried about what the heck was going on in that chicken coop at night! This is happening less and less as they get older. I try to hurry and clean it up before they have a chance to taste it and like it! I don't want them going after their own eggs!

Back
Top Bottom