New egg mommy

WillowISA

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Forum is finally back up! Yay!

Ok, so yesterday my EE, Callie, laid her first egg. Sage green colored to match her legs. Today she laid a second one already! I have a couple questions now since she has started and I'm waiting for her "sister" Taffy (Mille Fleur) to start.

1. They're 8-9 months old and it's January, is it normal that she started now?
2. Anything besides the layer formula and fresh foods to give them now?
3. Callie seems to have a touch of diarrhea since she laid the first egg, is that normal?
4. Taffy's comb is redder than Callie's...any idea why she started first?
5. How often should I expect her to lay now since it is winter?
6. Do I need to do anything to the eggs before using/eating them?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Saranna

Forum is finally back up! Yay!

Ok, so yesterday my EE, Callie, laid her first egg. Sage green colored to match her legs. Today she laid a second one already! I have a couple questions now since she has started and I'm waiting for her "sister" Taffy (Mille Fleur) to start.

1. They're 8-9 months old and it's January, is it normal that she started now? I don't have chickens but this sounds reasonable to me
2. Anything besides the layer formula and fresh foods to give them now? Oyster Shells
3. Callie seems to have a touch of diarrhea since she laid the first egg, is that normal?I don't believe this is normal but I'm not for sure
4. Taffy's comb is redder than Callie's...any idea why she started first No clue she may have just matured fast
5. How often should I expect her to lay now since it is winter?It may not be consistent due to the season
6. Do I need to do anything to the eggs before using/eating them?You may want to wash them off but this is just a personal choice

Thanks for any help you can give!

Saranna

Back
Top Bottom