New Egg without shell

Rescued10

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 6, 2012
I have 10 RSL hens 5 months old who just started laying. Most of the eggs are small. Yesterday I found one on the poop board under the roost (unfortunately in the midst of poop) that had no shell. I checked the litter and there was no trace of shell anywhere. The egg was perfect, and the yolk was not broken. Could this little shell-less egg have slid out while the hen was on the roost? Or do you think she got down onto the board to lay it? Is this a common occurence with young gals? No one had disturbed it, so no egg eaters I guess.

Hard to tell, but likely got down off of roost to lay it. Are you giving them calcium (like the products you find in the feed store - oyster shells, etc). May be a good idea as that promotes good egg shells. Probably just a fluke, and she will start laying more normally.

I found one of these eggs in my coop two weeks ago and then two yesterday. Same idea, its like they layed the egg while on the roost. They were small eggs with no shell. I origially thought it was one of my hens that are just starting to lay but now I'm concerned. I have 9 hens total, they all eat the same food and no problems with my other eggs (Im getting six a day right now).

Yes, it's a shelless egg. It's their system working itself out. I'd be concerned if you keep seeing this a year later. I give oyster shell right before they start to lay. All my hens get oyster shell any time they need it. It's available daily.

Shelless eggs are very normal in the beginning. Good luck.

I've gotten one more shell-less egg right on the poopboard underneath the roost, and one broken egg in that location. Is it possible that someone is laying the egg without getting down from the roost? They are young, so maybe still learning?

Back
Top Bottom