New Eggs

ErikaSmit

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Schererville, IN
My 4 month old New Hampshire has JUST started laying eggs. 2 now! Are the first couple eggs okay to eat? Is there anything we need to do with the eggs before eating?

They are perfectly fine to eat! No special preparation though I do recommend cooking.
wink.png
Congratulations!!

Congratulations!!! I scrapbook, so the first egg was a biggie. We took pics of it in the nest box, and next to a store bought (I haven't bought in ages now LOL!). Then we made the worlds smallest omelette, which I took a picture of, LOL!

I just found my chickens first eggs today. She had 12 eggs hidden behind a woodpile. My husband thought she layed them all today. We went online and read that chickens lay 2-4 eggs per day.
86546_dscf9348.jpg

Quote:
You might want to go online and find a more accurate site. A good laying breed will lay an egg a day, the more "dual-purpose" breeds 4-5 a week.

If you are expecting 2-4 eggs a day, you're going to be very disappointed. But, it is surprising how quickly the number of eggs in the fridge builds up. Only 3 of my 5 chickens are currently laying, and one of those only very poorly. Yet, we are still getting more eggs than two of us can eat and, we are eating/baking with far more eggs then when I was buying them.

Back
Top Bottom