New Experience, but a sad one.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goat_Walker, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well one of the crested pekin eggs in the bator started to stink so I took it out in the pasture and popped the top off of it. When I first saw the membrane covering It looked red and black as if it had had veins so I was a little nervous to continue my observation.

Sadly when I got the yolk out there was a little semi developed duckling. It had little feathers on it and everything.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It broke my heart to see it laying their in the grass.

Can anyone tell me why their is the black goop in my eggs? I popped a few others open and one was all black liquid with white blobs in it that looked like sheeps brain and the others all has black liquid surrounding a bright orange yolk. Is it my humidity? Temp? Both are set on the standard spots.Did they get dried out a little? Too wet?

WHne I add water for the humidity I usually pour it in the round opening inthe plexiglass that helps the humidity. I placed the eggs out of the way for when It came down, but I did have to dry two today that I had just placed in.

Can anyone help me out here?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i dunno about it goat walker.

but when i opened the shell of POD brother, i found dead duck with black liquid without any odor (hard to explain in english) [​IMG] .

maybe other can help you. [​IMG]

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Souds like bacteria in the egg to me. I don't open the ones that have the "grey floaters" in them because they usually smell.
    This is what I'm referring to:
    [​IMG]

Is that what you mean?
    If it's not a bacteria, it could just be coagulated blood, I suppose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by