New Farm Mama

IrishAngel1216

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
Hello everyone!

I'm super glad to be a part of a friendly community where I can learn and grow as a new Chicken (and turkey and duck and goat) Mama!

I am new to chickens, although, my boyfriend grew up around them at his father's place.

Our little babies arrived 3 weeks ago today. We have 50 chicks, 3 poults and a duck. They said to expect a loss of 10% and we lost our first three over the last few days. 😭

We purchased 4 hens each of Barred Rock, Easter Egger, and Welsummer for eggs. We also purchased a surprise pack that guaranteed 40 live birds, unsexed and untyped. We're having fun discovering what breeds we have, and seeing their beautiful colorings as they develop.

My favorite part of raising chickens, so soon into it anyway, is how much they warm my heart when I go check on them and they come running over to me. I love being able to pet them, and watch them as they grow. Some aren't as cute or pretty as others as they develop into their bigger feathers, but I love them all. I'm excited to see how they grow and develop into beautiful birds, and see their personalities develop. Currently, Gus (the duck) has quite the personality and is a little stinker. Haha The three poults are the most loving of them all and have come running over to me ever since they arrived. They're my little babies and I think I broke a rule of farming...don't get too attached. After day 2, if it took that long, I told my boyfriend that we can't butcher the three poults because I just love them so much. They're so lovey and sweet. Maybe I'll feel differently when they grow up, but right now, they're too cute and sweet. 😁

Aside from this new venture of hobby farming, I thoroughly enjoy reading, writing, crafting, learning new things, helping others, doing tarot/oracle readings, camping, softball, being a mom, and so much more.

My boyfriend and I just started our dream...this hobby farm...and are working on being self-sufficient off the land. Between us, we have 7 children so we keep busy. He works in IT and has his master's. I am a Massage Therapist, but, thanks to Covid, have gone back to school bus driving full-time and doing massage part-time. I worked in hospice until I was furloughed, thanks to Covid. I miss that terribly.

In addition to the hobby farm, I am starting two other businesses. One for my tarot/oracle readings and gemstone jewelry, and the other one...a part of the farm... will be a handmade side for the chemical free products I make...soaps, lotions, body scrubs, laundry soap, dish soap, etc. Once we begin getting milk from our goats, my products will be made using goat's milk.

I am here (well, actually joined today) because I was doing a search on how to help my baby poults leg, and I've come across this several other times while reading and learning about chickens. "Experts" can tell me what they think, but I don't want to hear from someone being paid to recommend a product or service, etc. I'd much rather learn from people already doing this, who aren't afraid to be real and honest. I look forward to learning more and hope to, someday in the future, provide help for someone else.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom